Do you guys oil your filters?

I've read to use 50/50 gas and oil.

Heres another i found. Im doing mine this weekend

Motocross racing for years.

Clean filter with gas by soaking in clean gas and swirling around to get dirt/oil out.

Wash in soapy water and then rinse with clean water.

Lightly blow dry with compressed air.

Apply 10-30 motor oil to outside sparingly.

Gently squeeze to distribute oil evenly throughout the filter.

Wrap filter in clean paper towel and gently squeeze to remove excess oil.

Install and ride on.

Enjoy!

The black foam used on the UNI pods is very fine compared to the light green foam used on other UNI filters. According to the UNI Australia web site, the standard foam filter oil is too thick and will clog them. They recommend a 50-50 mix of gas and plain motor oil of some type. I bought the cheapest bottle of straight 30 wt. from Walmart and use that.

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/Black foam road bike pods.pdf

The black foam used on the UNI pods is very fine compared to the light green foam used on other UNI filters. According to the UNI Australia web site, the standard foam filter oil is too thick and will clog them. They recommend a 50-50 mix of gas and plain motor oil of some type. I bought the cheapest bottle of straight 30 wt. from Walmart and use that.

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/Black foam road bike pods.pdf

So you mix the oil with the gas then soak? That's what i did. The post above says nothing about gas other than washing out the filter. Whatever, it seems to do the job for me.

I used to just dunk my YZ's filter to soak it then rode it... I'll try something similar... Maybe a lighter coat instead of saturating it

I never ride what I call "dirty air". I don't do gravel or dirt roads, for example. It's pretty hard for me to believe that anything getting thru a quality foam filter will hurt my engine. So I don't use any oil, and for a couple decades now I don't regret not having to screw with oiling filters.

I can see how that could work weasel, I don't really leave the city streets and only have a few month window to ride in the north east. I'm gonna try to get some extra protection but don't want my filter to look destroyed and smell of gas.

Mixing with some gas makes it easier to get a thin coat on the filter, the oil will be whatever it was once the gas evaporates. ATF seems to be thin and work well. Too much oil just upsteam of a 4 stroke carb seems to be a recipe for trouble. I am in the light coat then squeeze out with some rag or paper towel camp. That's how I do my lawn mower filters those things LIVE in dirt and dust. The better mower filters (skid steer also) are foam over paper, there might be some hard gained wisdom there if your bike runs in the dirt.

Gggary make a good point about gas. The truth is gas is detrimental to any foam air filter. It destroys the glue. I use gas to rinse out the filter, blow dry as best as possible and then clean with soap and water. Dry completely and Apply just foam filter oil.

Not sure why you all don't just spend $6 on oil that some engineering firm dems best for your filter? And are using motor oil, cooking oil, coconut oil or whatever else you're using.

Leaving your filter dry isn't a bright idea. You have the opportunity to keep your motor safer with oil. Yes your motor won't die without it but neither do motors with velocity stacks and we know how harmful those are. Longterm its best to use foam filter oil.

Posted via Mobile

I was surprised when my dealer told me he doesn't oil them. He said the gas mist from the carb throat eventually wets them down enough. I still like a little oil on mine but not the specific foam filter oil, just the 50-50 motor oil and gas mix. I tried the UNI pods in the first place due to a recommendation from a highly regarded 650 guy, mrriggs. He specifically stated that he tied the special foam filter oil and it did not work. It clogged the filters so bad the bike ran terrible. The link I gave above pretty much says the same thing.

I think you lads are going a little OCD on this oil the filter thing. (Oiling Compusive Disorder)

I use the stock airbox with the stock type yellow foam filters. I use them dry as god intended:D

When I had a 1976 XS500C for 13 years back in the 1970's/1980's, it used the same dry foam filters.

IMHO for street use, dry filters are all you need. OK, if you regularly ride in the dirt and dusty roads etc, maybe oiled filters is a benefit.

Remember Yamaha and others recommend not oiling and oiling dependant on where the charcoal canister tube was, or wasn't, or even had one. That plays a roll.

Posted via Mobile

Back