Does the slow and main jet follow eachother?

;) ill be updating once ive figured it out. Topham shipped out today so NeXT week i can start working on it. cya and have a great weekend.

btw, the suggested parts for the jetting etc credit goes to Sonnylynnvick75 for supplying this info ;) Thanks man.

figure8 yes sure thing here you go... Hope it's good enough else I'll post another one later once I'm at the garage again.

CARB_34MM_MIKUNI_4e26272bb01fd.jpg

this is such ones i have ;)

Last edited:
Chizler it is not about ego it is about disseminating accurate information. If the inaccurate information is left as is and then someone else follows that information which adds to their frustration, where is the benefit to anyone but the poster of the inaccurate information? If you post inaccurate information and then challenge anyone who dares point it out and then claim a personal attack it is of no benefit to anyone at all. If you make an error in the way you word something or type something in incorrectly then just apologize and go edit your post to reflect the accurate information. As far as "the xs650 crowd getting no respect from the motorcycle community"I doubt that this little website has anything to do with how riders of one manufacturer look at riders of another manufacturer. In fact I can say from personal experience that where I used to live the big dog 1%ers had absolutely no problem with an xs rider like myself.

If you considered this a personal attack I apologize for trying to offer constructive criticism. Now back to the regular scheduled program.

I agree these are for future reference. I misread 81 for 71 on a fork seal replacement thread. Someone pointed it out, I thanked them and we moved on. But, trying to belittle people to sooth your ego it out of line. I mistake a jet size and I get called names? LOL
Really my original comment was to explain "Move needle clip does and turn fuel screw does" and to see if the carbs were "set up" as he said it was order with engine work. This was after two of the top 3 people most knowledgeable on here said they didn't have experience with these carbs.

In fact, I just went in the warehouse and opened a 2x TMX34, TM34 and a VM34 2 had 3.3 needle valves and 1 had 3.5. The TM had a 50 pilot. So I guess I'm not as ignorant as someone who doesn't know what a 3.3 needle valve is.

Truth is yes, The XS650 is a market that everyone avoids. If it weren't for my own personal interest in board track xs650's I'd pass them by too. It's exactly what we went thru in the early 90's with ATV's.
I have two XS650 builds due next Jan/Feb for a NASCAR Sprint cup driver and a small clothing:thumbsup: company.That's why I'm here.

hey chizler62 ;) i totally got your point in the response you made with how it were working etc. I thank you for your feedback, for me nevertheless it were usefull info.. I didnt read it as it were a 100% guide, just a hint or two in a direction.

Thanks yeall and have a great weekend, sun is out here... Cold allmost at zero degree but real nice and slowly the temp will rise.

I drained my oil for the gasoline issues and will be working on the carbs NeXT week. ;) refill oil Again by then until i get to it, ill let the gasoline vaporize if possible from the remains of oil in the engine.

Just wanted to followup and let you all know what were in the carbs before i changed settings.

These are way off.. and I cant recomend them to anyone.

Main jet: 250
Pilot jet: 45
Needle jet: 389-Q-2
Needle 5FP17 at 3nd from the top notch

I havent tried the new setup yet, but will let you know how that Progress. Thanks

Okay so eventually got all the parts and made the change to the carbs with the following specs.

Main jets: 190
Pilot: 25
Needle jet: P-6
Needle a 6F9 second from the top.

The air screw at 1.5 turn out and the idle 2 turns out.

The bike is having trouble keeping the idle and goes out and its allso really hard to start elec. starter.

So any recomendations to this? good ideas about the air screw and idle screw settings?

Thanks ;)

The tuning process for your TM34's is exactly the same as for the VM series, and I've already written that up in detail. Go to the Tech section and click on the link.

grizld1 thanks for pointing this out, just ive looked and couldnt seem to locate where it says anything about the air screw settings and the idle settings.! dang... must have overlooked something then, but been over it several times now.

Perhaps its native lingo im missing out on.. sooo ? ;)

Sooo, there are no standard settings for aftermarket carburetors. Synch the lift and drop mechanically, then, counting turns to maintain synch, set the throttle stops to the lowest rpm the motor will hold, warm the motor, and back off throttle stops, again, to the lowest rpm the motor will hold. Then find the mix screw position that yields highest idle, back off the throttle stops to the lowest rpm the motor will hold, and continue this process until you have the mix screws and throttle stops at the setting that yields lowest steady rpm. Then richen the mix screws about 1/4 turn and turn the throttle stops to the setting that gives you an idle speed of about 1500 rpm and verify mix screw settings by killing one cylinder at a time, repeating the steps above; refer to the OE section of the Carb Guide. Set final idle speed to 1200 rpm.

If you must open the mix screws past about 2-1/2 turns to achieve this, go down one step on pilot jets. If you have to turn in as far as 1/2 turn, install a larger pilot jet. If jet needles must be moved, you may need to revisit the PJ selection; off-idle transitions will tell you if you need to raise the needles.

Thats great grizld1, thanks alot.

Since ive changed these from standard settings to the below

Main jet 190
Pilot jet 25
Needle jet P-6
Jet needle 6F9

Should these allso be taken into considerations? The reason why I ask is because ive tested out allready with the idle and air mix screw and engine cant start it falls over...

Starter jet 80
Pilot air screw 1,5 turns out (I get this from your post above, so disregard)
Main air jet without
Throttle valve 4,0
Needle valve 3,3
Float height 18mm

Allso I read somewhere these carbs can cause flood of gasoline in the engine... anything to be particular observant towards?

Throttle valve and needle valve are fine for the application. Float height is close enough not to impact idle. Starter jet is fine. Any carburetor can and will fill a crankcase up with fuel if petcocks and/or float valves are seeping. If you didn't dial in everything--valves, ignition, the whole magillah--before hanging aftermarket carbs, I don't know where to tell you to begin.

You said the motor has "trouble keeping the idle and goes out," so clearly you had it fired up. Please give more detail. You may have sooted up the plugs; get several sets on hand, you'll need them before you're through. Be patient and experiment. If 1.5 turns on the mix screw doesn't work, try 1 turn as a starting point if the motor is acting lean (runs better with a touch of the choke).

I've written all I know on this subject here and elsewhere. Please don't interpret guidelines as recipes--they're only starting points, and if they don't work you need to change them in one direction or the other.

Last edited:
Once Again Thanks grizld1, much appreciated your feedback

its late here now, so ill give it a go Again tomorrow. Ill walk over the suggested, right now the batteries are charging ;) at least i can start ruling those out.

One thing I can say though is that it couldnt keep idle and i had to twist the throttle and then it sounded popping not a clean crisp sound..

The needles and jettings it had before changing to the new settings worked just it were fouling and plugs were Black, not wet.

Okay, I changed the plugs to regulars and removed my iridium plugs and it started right away and sounds awesome ;) I havent taken a ride yet, need to Work first but will followup on this later.

Thanks grizld1 for the assistance ;) much appreciated.

idle is at 12-1500rpm

Okay been taking some test drives approx 10km and checked the plugs and results are promising.

Left side plug looks like this

DB0500-7141-41AB-AC4C-E233B96BFC39.png_zpsgwcwurmc.jpg

Right side plug looks like this

7B154E-C174-4B2F-BFA3-7283D50E5CF7.png_zpsbqgwx40a.jpg

And off course the ride looks like this ;)

7CD5948F-1F59-4072-A060-013FA17F54A7_zpshscu5wdm.jpg

Weather is sunny approx 10-12 degree celcius[emoji274]

Only thing now would be to adjust clutch so it's perfect. Think I didn't tighten up the screws good enough when fixing the starter gear, so adjusting clutch a notch too much the basket case touches the side cover.

Just a status on this, its been running fine, but all of a sudden it started fouling real bad and ive since then tried adjusting the two carbs. Turned the Pilot out to 2 turns out on the right hand carb and 1.75 out on the left hand carb.

There Again out of the blue came a difference in each carb, so having both on 2 out would leave only right hand carb fine where the left were too lean and left the plug allmost as new after a drive... Only the tip of the plug were "Black" used... Ill see if I can get some pics, but ive since then reverted to new settings and it looks better.

Why this sudden change??

Back