don't buy e-bay batterys

DIRTY DOG

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
don't buy batterys of e-bay seller tmshelmet they won't stand behind there battery
battery been in the bike 10 days been road 15 miles and it's bad. I reinstalled my 4 year old battery and road it home and have put 50 more miles on it they said there warranty is 30 days now come on 30 days the battery was stored in the house untill I installed 10 days ago it's been too cold to ride untill now. I even rechecked my charging system still charging great 14.5 volts at 2000 rpm. IT WAS A
Gel YTX14AHL-BS Battery for Yamaha XS500 XS650

Last edited:
I just peaked at his add on Ebay. AGM maintenance free battery made in China.

I would never buy an AGM battery. A friend had an AGM fail in 1 year. Heard quite a few stories about failures in under 1 year, and now one more added to the list.

My previous lead/acid battery lasted for 7 years in the bike. When it failed last summer, I bought another lead/acid, because they are super reliable. The lead/acid battery in my car is 9.5 years old.

I see the price was $38 USD, so perhaps you need to pay more money to get a higher quality battery.

the battery in my other bike is an agm and is 3 years old and i was replacing the battery in the wifes bike that 4 years old, still working ok but just don't want her out there broke
down well it hapen whith the new battery. I'm on a fixed income right so every penny counts, even a cheap a battery should last more than 30 days I just looked and didn't see if it's made in china or not it's the tms brand

RGood brand name agm are good batterys. The orbital exide in my jeep...agm..5 years old. My versys...4 years old agm, the klrs are agms.. Rg you sound like the old guy scared of anything new. Half the problem with them is probably where they are made. Optimas used to be made in usa, now mexico. They are hit and miss.

"Rg you sound like the old guy scared of anything new"

Yes, you may be onto something there. Maybe that's why I drive a 38 year old motorcycle:) Having said that, I can't figure out why youngsters in their 20's and 30's would drive these old bikes, when their buddies are out on plastic, 100 HP+, crotch rockets. Are they also afraid of anything new:shrug:

RG, what is it about AGM batteries you don't like?

It seems to be a crap shoot on AGM batteries. If you buy the cheap AGMs made in China, then they tend to fail very quickly. Mikesxs (we all know they sell poor quality parts) had a bad batch of AGMs a few years ago also.

If you can buy a high quality AGM, then it appears you will have a lasting battery, similar to jetmechmarty.

In other words, if you buy the cheapest battery you can find on Ebay, you may be disappointed. You get what you pay for.

Price should not make a dif.a battery should not go bad after be'n in the bike 15 days
I checked with the other seller on f-bay and they said that battery should have a 1 year warranty TMSHELMET is a bad seller they do not list the warranty.
e-bay can't even get them to help, been too long and paypay said it's out of warranty per the seller so thats no help.

I checked with the other seller on f-bay and they said that battery should have a 1 year warranty TMSHELMET is a bad seller they do not list the warranty.

To be honest DIRTY, the saying "buyer beware" does apply here.

If they didn't post a warranty then the buyer can't expect to get one. Check the small print every time.

ya I know. I looked at all the e-bay batterys and none list the warranty I had to ask to find out what it was

Here is a link
to a mob selling lead acid batteries here in Aus. Clearly state they give a 12 month warranty. To bad you got done, should still lay a complaint to ebay.

Wer. Usually get the acid in a separate container and have to fill the battery up and charge it yourself. See link above.

I picked up the exact same battery (TMS AGM YTX14AHL-BS) worked great for two months now will not hold a charge, it shows 12 volts but as soon is there is a load nada. DO NOT BUY even for $30-40 unless you want to buy another just as their warranty expires.

AGM batteries are great, this one was not.

"Rg you sound like the old guy scared of anything new"

Yes, you may be onto something there. Maybe that's why I drive a 38 year old motorcycle:) Having said that, I can't figure out why youngsters in their 20's and 30's would drive these old bikes, when their buddies are out on plastic, 100 HP+, crotch rockets. Are they also afraid of anything new:shrug:

I ride it cause my buddies are on huge, underpowered harley wannabe's and 50cc scooters. That and you can't buy the bike that I have. Its mine and I built it.

OP, like everyone else said, be careful buying batteries online. You have no idea how long they've been on their distributors shelf for. They might've bought them from the manufacturer since they were approaching their EOL date and then let them sit on their shelves for another two years..

Back