Dr. Whats wrong with my petcock?

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What did this guy do? Can I fix this? The hose is kinking on the top of the carb cause the petcock angles down instead of out. I already have something making space for it. But it's still pushing the carb down. I thought about cutting the rear mount but a petcock is cheaper. Is that jb weld? How do I get it off to fix it? Should I even bother? Or buy new when I can afford it?

e8231a5c.jpg

bd120f5d.jpg

Posted via Mobile

If I had to guess, I'd say the guy epoxied the nipple in at the wrong angle. I think it should probably face in, not down. Not sure how to get that crap off or if it's even possible. Maybe someone who's done the manual petcock swap would sell their old one to you cheap. Then you could combine parts from yours and theirs and maybe get one good working unit out of it.

In? Ok. It'd be better than how it is now. So I just need a manual petcock? Do replacement petcocks have an off? Jetting is next. Thanks for the help...

Posted via Mobile

That's a jacked up deal...and not even fuel line.. looks like cheap plastic tubing that is breaking down from gasoline...

You can see how it should go to the right, as 5twins states that it is at the wrong angle, instead of swooping around the petcock like it is now.
Honestly I would invest in the non-vacuum type from Mikesxs. I have them on 2 bikes and they work great. Some might say the stock vacuum ones are better incase you wreck the bike, but the non-vacuum work great and no damn prime, no vacuum problems and you can turn it off.

On my 81 the elbow points in at a bit of downward angle. In the stock pet cock the elbow is just pressed into the body, with an o-ring to seal it in.
I don't think you will get that elbow out. If you can find a 1/4 inch brass elbow you might cut that one off where the epoxy is, grind it flat, drill it out so the new elbow is a snug slip fit then epoxy it back in with it pointing in.
Getting the replacement from Mike's would be easier and get rid off the vaccum part and turn off as littlebill31 said.
Leo

Yes, the normal position is the opening points back toward the center of the bike. But if it's in good condition as it is...it's a fine opportunity to put an inline filter where you can get to it easily.

I have an inline filter right before the carbs. This is real fuel line. Haha, bought it From cycle gear. New petcock it is. Then I'll mess with this one. The vacuum part doesn't work anyway, the gas never stops coming out. It would be nice to be able to turn it off so I can take the tank off like a normal person instead of the crazy balancing act that I have to do. So I just need a non vacuum petcock? Part #20-0019? Could this affect How my bike runs?

Posted via Mobile

I read more than once that the manual replacement they're talking about is made of "brittle" metal. That's why I elected to rebuild my vacuum p-cock when it went haywire.

It's always somethin'...

Yes, it definitely is, always somethin. Most times it's multiple somethings. Ill try fixing this one too.
Nobody wants to help for free besides you guys. Everyone out here wants money. I get more answers and good information from guys I've never met, than from people I know. Thanks again...

Posted via Mobile

If you do rebuild, I think it's z1enterprizes.com that has the kit I used, myself. Mine just needed a new diaphragm and I used the one from the kit. I had to put it together twice and the second time I put the old o-ring back on the plunger. I think the problem really was it wasn't put back together real square, but I didn't want to maybe have to put it back together a third time.

One thing that's become clear to me recently is if you need something for free, don't expect that from someone whose business is selling that thing. If you need free food, don't try at a restaurant. If you need a free place to stay, don't try at a motel. :)

I guess I am learning that now. Haha. Maybe I'm weird but I expect intangible things like ideas or information to be free. It's worth a lot but who decides the price? Thats why I come here...

Posted via Mobile

The kit doesn't include the elbow o-ring. That might not be a good, original elbow anyway. Ebay prob. has plenty of original petcocks that ppl have swapped out, as someone already said. Ace Hardware seems to have a fine selection of o-rings.

They have to hold up to gas dont they? What are they made from? I bought a box of assorted orings from harbor freight. I think they're nitrile?

Posted via Mobile

I'd guess they're all made from equally good stuff, in reality. Let one sit in a jar with gas in it for a couple of days, and if the black smudges off on your fingers afterward, I'd call it no good.

Yes, that is the correct part number. As for brittle metal, absolutely not. I have one on a test tank that gets the shit beat out of it, it sits on it's petcock on the floor and is missing one screw. I'll match it any day against the stock ones.

^Could have been somebody with a grudge writing that, and I guess there were a few. I can't find the post now, but it was saying like you don't want to tighten the screws too much, ya know?

And I remember somebody was complaining about the amount of gas you have left when you have to switch to reserve.

It's always somethin'. I found it much simpler all in all and a bit cheaper to just rebuild.

Back