Drag bars. Will they interfere with a stock headlight?

Garrett411

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Gang,

Looking to throw some drag bars on my'79 XS. Don't really want to have to replace the stock headlight. Will drag bars fit with a stock headlight? I'm trying to cafe my bike out some and id like to start with the bars. Any advice is helpful! Also what bars are recommended?

Thanks!

-Garrett

Welcome to the forum...do you have a standard or special?

You will likely need to lower the headlight so the master cylinder will fit. You can flip the stock ears upside down and that will drop it enough. You'll also have to deal with re-routing the brake line, throttle and clutch cables...not hard to do.

There's a lot of info on this site. I recommend that you search your questions in the "search" box; this (and most of the questions you've recently asked) have been asked before...as recent as last week even-with lots of ideas. :)

I'm mid-process of cafe'ing my '79 as well... the site has been a huge help for me.

Good luck.

you won't have any issues with the headlight and using drag bars. you will find the master cylinder from a special will sit at a weird angle but doesn't effect the operation. i would also recommend new throttle and clutch cables as the old ones will be a bit long. or just get creative on routing. another note to mention, if you get bars that are painted or powder coated you will need to sand away the coating a little bit where the controls mount. the bars are grounded through the left control box and the right control box needs a ground for your starter button to work.

On a separate note. What are the stock diameter of the fork tubes. Looking for clip-ons but don't know the diameter of the tubes on my '79 xs650. Anyone know off hand?

Back