Drag racing

Ashaman

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gonna head up with some old racing buddies to Bandimere tomorrow night. We all used to race Mustangs, but I think there'll only be one Mustang there out of 5-6 of us. Anyway, this will be my first time dragging a bike so it'll be interesting. I'll post up with results. What do you all think I'll run? Track elevation is 5800', bike is more or less stock, and I weigh probably 200 with boots and gear.

I guessing high 15's, especially if the bike has not been rejetted for that altitude and has the normal 17/34 sprocket setup. I think they only ran 14.8 brand new.

This thread is starting to sound like the TV show on the Speed channel called Pass Time.

All we need is a short video of the bike doing a burnout. To quote the host Brett Wagner : "the burnout tells no lies.........."

Now if we could only have the best guesser winning a $100.................

9 seconds.

image.jpg

:D

~ Derek

Gonna head up with some old racing buddies to Bandimere tomorrow night. We all used to race Mustangs, but I think there'll only be one Mustang there out of 5-6 of us. Anyway, this will be my first time dragging a bike so it'll be interesting. I'll post up with results. What do you all think I'll run? Track elevation is 5800', bike is more or less stock, and I weigh probably 200 with boots and gear.

Tip of the day
Crank up to 1/2 throttle once staged, when you leave let the clutch out just fast enough to keep the tire down, and be a full by the time the clutch lever is at its end.

I spent years and thousands of dollars trying to learn that with my old drag bike, and learned it in one night playing around on a buell

15.80 btw 2.00 60ft

Well, get ready to laugh. It was Club Clash (bracket racing) so I didn't get to go round and round like a T&T night. Traffic was hellacious so I got to the track late and only got one time run. I bogged hard off the line and then, for pretty much the first time ever, could not get it into second gear! That run was an 18.401 @ 69.31mph. Fucking ridiculous. Based on that I had no idea what to dial, so I put 16.22 and hoped for the best. Second run bogged as well, but hit all the gears and lost with a 17.047 @ 76.61mph. My buddy and I rolled most of the way home together, and we went for it on the highway a couple times. He absolutely walked me, like I was standing still, and he's in an '85 Mustang SVO with a ported head, mild hybrid, and exhaust. His license had expired a couple weeks ago so he didn't get to race, but it's probably a mid-14 second car. I know this is vintage iron, and we don't ride these things for the speed, but jesus this thing is sloooooooooooow. :(

Hehe yeah they're no rocket ship. That said, they could beat a mid 14s car if you really set it up to do it.

Back