drain plug

b1broc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a drain plug that I cannot get out for the life of me! any tips on removeing this?? I have tried heat doesnt budge I dont care if I ruin the plug I just dont want to damage my case. o and i have tried useing an impact too. now my motor is completely dissasebled and i cant get it:banghead:

Surprised the impact gun didnt remove it, might try an impact socket on a long breaker bar. I usually try going the wrong way first (tightening) in an attempt to loosen the threads. After that, I take a dremel and cut into pieces, drill out the center etc.

Good luck!

which drain plug? the rear (trans)? i cant get mine out either. ive been told that the amount of oil that comes out of the rear is very little anyhow. i dont think alot of people even mess with it.

which drain plug? the rear (trans)? i cant get mine out either. ive been told that the amount of oil that comes out of the rear is very little anyhow. i dont think alot of people even mess with it.
No offense, but in my opinion you are wrong. There are at least a couple of cups of oil that come out of the rear drain, and "everyone" does "mess with it".

If yours is stuck, I suggest you try freeing it by sliding a long cheater pipe over your wrench handle, and hitting it with a very big hammer.

After I pull the sump plug and let it drain for a while, I get maybe 2oz of oil out the rear plug, if that.

No offense, but in my opinion you are wrong. There are at least a couple of cups of oil that come out of the rear drain, and "everyone" does "mess with it".

If yours is stuck, I suggest you try freeing it by sliding a long cheater pipe over your wrench handle, and hitting it with a very big hammer.

me saying that 'i dont think alot of people mess with it' is a generalization at best. you saying everyone does mess with it is dead wrong. no way in fuck im going to get a big ass pipe and hit shit with a big hammer on my bike. feel free to do what you want. but your response is much worse.

anyways.....i took my info from not even messing with the trans drain from a VERY knowledgeable member here and on other boards. i know his word isnt the only way to do things but i trust the shit out of pretty much anything he says.

After I pull the sump plug and let it drain for a while, I get maybe 2oz of oil out the rear plug, if that.
Maybe I'm wrong about the two cups.

In any case, I have never heard of people just routinely ignoring the rear plug, but maybe some do.

I have freed plenty of drain plugs that were "hopelessly" stuck doing what I said, without the slightest damage to any threads or to the head of the plug.

I routinely ignore my rear drain plug, the tiny amount of oil that stays in the case when I do an oil change does not bother me one bit.

I remove it on every bike but I have a 27mm 6 point 3/4 drive socket and a breaker bar to match. If it's a really tight one I lay the bike over on its side on some old carpet or cardboard so I can give the breaker bar a better kick. It's nice to support the end of the socket so it's less likely to damage the bolt head. +1 tighten a bit if it won't loosen, that often works on stuck bolts.
Aviation exhaust crush washers make fine crush washer replacements. Odds are dummy overtightened the drain trying to stop a leak from the clutch push rod seal. :laugh:

Maybe I'm wrong about the two cups.

In any case, I have never heard of people just routinely ignoring the rear plug, but maybe some do.

I have freed plenty of drain plugs that were "hopelessly" stuck doing what I said, without the slightest damage to any threads or to the head of the plug.

I found that by warming the engine I was able to loosen a VERY stuck rear plug.

I ran the engine for about 15min. Hell, take the girl for a ride and get her warmed up. This is commonly called 'oil change foreplay". Then with your socket and breaker bar first tighten a whack then loosen whack , whack, aha there it is loose.

Hopefully the foreplay will work for you.

Glenn

This might sound like a stupid question, but for those who have gotten their plugs off, which direction did you turn the bolt? I heard these aren't reverse threaded, so the "lefty-loosey" saying still valid (i.e. looking from rear to front of engine I turn bolt counter-clockwise to loosen)??? I'm a little confused and I'm in a bitchy mood and almost giving myself a hernia to get these off. Bolts won't budge. Have tried wrenches galore and about to go buy a 27mm socket to give that a try. Don't have access or funds for impact wrench or blow torch or welding rigging at the moment. :banghead:

P.S. Have already warmed my engine etc

Thxs

The 27 mm socket with as long a breaker bar as you have. Slip about three feet of pipe over the breaker bar. Now as you pull on the pipe, get some tension on the pipe with one hand and use a BFH to hit the pipe in the way your turning.
A block under the socket to help prevent slipping off is a good idea.
I do this from the left side of the bike, pulling the pipe toward the front of the bike.
A friend to set on the bike to hold it in place helps, the bigger the friend the better.
Once you get it off, get the right gaskets for the drain plug and don't tighten it back that tight. 15 ft/lbs is plenty.
Leo

This might sound like a stupid question, but for those who have gotten their plugs off, which direction did you turn the bolt? I heard these aren't reverse threaded, so the "lefty-loosey" saying still valid (i.e. looking from rear to front of engine I turn bolt counter-clockwise to loosen)??? I'm a little confused and I'm in a bitchy mood and almost giving myself a hernia to get these off. Bolts won't budge. Have tried wrenches galore and about to go buy a 27mm socket to give that a try. Don't have access or funds for impact wrench or blow torch or welding rigging at the moment. :banghead:

Thxs
nope that's bass-ackwards, try this looking down from top

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 170

Thxs

Working from the left side of the bike position the 27mm box end wrench on the drain plug. While applying pressure towards the front wheel bang on the open end side of the wrench With a hammer turning to the front of the bike. Counter-clockwise
to loosen, but upside down just to make it interesting.

Glenn

Thank you so much everyone!!!! :thumbsup:

Good chance I was turning it the wrong way at first but now have got it figured out. 27mm 1/2" drive socket on my long-ass 1/2" drive torque wrench did the trick. One bolt was ornery but eventually got both off. Seeing that oil drop out was such a relief. :bike:

Thank you so much everyone!!!! :thumbsup:

Good chance I was turning it the wrong way at first but now have got it figured out. 27mm 1/2" drive socket on my long-ass 1/2" drive torque wrench did the trick. One bolt was ornery but eventually got both off. Seeing that oil drop out was such a relief. :bike:

It is such a relief when a constipated bike finally lets loose.

:thumbsup:

I used shock unlock .. Great stuff .. works the same as heat but uses very cold instead comes in an areosol .Warmed the engine a little gave the plug a good big dousing and listen for the sound as it realeased.... tink .. and then ring key on a tap with a hammer off it came )))

You used a torque wrench to loosen the drain plug? Torque wrenches are not designed to loosen things. You may have damaged your torque wrench.
Leo

Back