drive chain question

payaso13

1978xs650
Reaction score
I plan on getting 17/32 sprockets and my question is instead of ordering 104 link for a 34 tooth sprocket and cutting it...would a 102 link be OK to get???

It maybe ok but it may not.
I would get one I was sure is too long and cut back rather than order one I think may be right then get it and it be too short.
Leo

Yeah thanks for the quick respond as I was writing it I was thinking same thing...I'm gonna call 650 central and just get there 520 conversion kit...hey Leo while I got your attention...there was a thread I was reading about 8 pack clutches...and altousa I believe makes 2.50mm discs did you check on that....looking for an easy mod instead of going the lathe route

No I haven't done much with that idea. Mine works very well so why fix a problem I don't have.
Leo

Dropping 2 teeth on the rear won't make near enough room to drop 2 links. Like Leo said, get one you are sure is long enough, and drop a link (Just one) and re-check if you can slide the wheel back a substantial distance on the adjusters. It takes more like 4-5 teeth worth of reduction to drop 2 links at this sprocket diameter range.

I just changed my rear from 34t to 30t with mike's sprocket. running 17/30 now with what i believe is the stock chain, as the 17/34 were both stock. I'm JUST short of bottoming out the adjusters (at smallest mark on the swingarm indicators) with the increased chain length. but there is some space. i check my bike before i ride and the axle is straight & the chain is tight & ive had no issues in the 60ish miles ive put on since the switch last week. MUCH better high-speed manners too... 1st is a scosh high for my tastes but not a big deal. & 70mph @ 3700rpms (gauge-indications only, mind) is definitely not bad! I can cruise at 75 in 5th pretty comfortably, & 55 in 4th is just about perfect.

That sounds good...I'm looking for better cruising to I'm usually around 70 when I ride...think I'm gonna do 32 rear though

Back