Drum Brake Actuator Rod?

3Deuces

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What are you guys doing to lengthen the actuator rod on a mid mount brake pedal, 4" stretch hardtail? I have access to 1/4 rod to make a whole new part, or I can make a sleeve and splice the original part. Any other ideas? Pics?

Thanks

Did you already weld in your brake pivot?

I have a TC tail and I didn't have to make any mods. It all kind of depends on where you weld up your pivot.

Brake pivot is tacked. I mounted it so as to mimic the stock peg to pedal distance and my rod is still about 3" short.
I think I'll just make a new rod from 1/4" cold rolled.

Attachments

• 2012-03-06 19.16.10.jpg
    2012-03-06 19.16.10.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 2012-03-06 19.16.28.jpg
    2012-03-06 19.16.28.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 241
i have a question.... the rear brake anchor hole, the other end where its atached, does it need to pivot so you can adj your chain slack?

i have a question.... the rear brake anchor hole, the other end where its atached, does it need to pivot so you can adj your chain slack?

yeah man, it mounts with shoulder bolts to keep them tight but have slack to pivit for all the right reasons..:thumbsup:

Does anyone have a pic of the stock drum brake anchor connected to the rod. I seem to be missing the hardware that attaches the two.

What are you guys doing to lengthen the actuator rod on a mid mount brake pedal, 4" stretch hardtail? I have access to 1/4 rod to make a whole new part, or I can make a sleeve and splice the original part. Any other ideas? Pics?

Thanks

Build your own rod up from the round stock.:thumbsup:

Hard y rod, The bolt that holds the brake strut to the swing arm is as WacoBrian says, A shoulder bolt.
The one that is in the backing plate end has a head that looks like it was round then had the sides ground down so they are flat. The one on the swing arm end Has a regular head.
I'm not sure where you can get one, If I had an extra I'd send it too you. Maybe some one on here has one or knows where to get one.
If you have the Clymers book, on page 136 is a pic of the rear wheel and brake parts. Item # 36 is the one you are looking for.
You can try a regular bolt with a nylock nut. It might work. I woulkd use a hard one, grade 8. Hate to have it break.
Leo

Back