Drum brake won't budge, what gives?

MAndrade1980

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
:wtf:

The thing wont turn at all. Can I just whack the other end of it, should it pop out? Any suggestions? Thing turns less than 5 degrees and its stiff as a board.

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

You can tap it out. Just be careful not to damage the splines. I would also spray some penetrating oil on it.

Heat it up with a hair drier and throw some PB blaster to it. Tap it out, and don't get too aggressive with it. If you have a vice, you can wiggle it back and forth with and adjustable wrench while trying to tap it out. Spray some patience on it. Careful not to peen the end of the splined shaft.

Gonna have to look for that stuff! Thanks so much guys for the quick info. I freaking love this site! Praying this thing is salvageable.

Anyone in the New England area know a local shop that stocks Kroil? Looking around don't know if it's something in stock around here.

Just read about a "brew" for penetrant from a machinist. Consists of 50:50 ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and acetone. Haven't tried it so can't recommend. Might be worth a try? Claim was that it's as good/better than Kroil? Dang sure a lot less expensive...........Wesley

Once you get the pivot shaft out, you'll notice it has a slight depression cut into it along part of the section that fits through the hub. This is there to hold grease. Liberally grease the hole and the shaft, then work the shaft in and out of the hub using a twisting motion. That will displace all the extra grease and leave that depressed area full. The twisting motion is the key here. Just pushing the shaft in and out straight won't fill that depression.

Also of note - on the outer side of the hub where the shaft exits, there is a step cut into the end of the hole .....

BrakePivotHole.jpg

There should be a felt seal ring in there to help keep dirt and water out of the hole. I clean the ring by dipping briefly in kerosene then pressing between clean paper towels. Once clean, I knead it full of grease and install.

PB blaster is a good for this stuff too, almost anything liquid is a big help. Whenever you are working on a stuck shaft bolt etc. work it out a little then tap or turn it back in ways, lube, repeat. IMHO if you just drive it out one part or the other galls and a big curl of material is forced out along with the shaft, this wad of material tears the crap out of the surfaces. By going back and forth the chunks get knocked off or leveled a bit and things come apart with much less damage.
Check the shoes carefully, if water got in the drum the shoes often fall off the backing plates. They are just bonded on, water, age, and expansion cause the adhesive to fail.

Got it off! Have to buy a new felt washer that you mentioned 5twins as it was garbage, I'm sure it's available at MikesXS, thanks so much for the tips guys!

Throw away that crescent wrench. It's for when it's not practical to carry a set of wrenches on your belt. When you're working on other peoples stuff :) Get a set of wrenches. Doesn't have to be expensive ones. China is better than Taiwan these days.

I do have a set, I was just using it just to shimmy the thing back and forth. ;) I agree though.

Back