Dual Coil with Points?

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm looking to pare down the size of my 2 hunkin big coils to maybe one dual output coil. I know a lot of guys use the mikes one with Pamco, but I may need to hold off on Pamco for now (money-wise). Any thoughts on if there's a dual coil I can use with points? Possibly even one I could keep using once I upgrade to Pamco? Thanks!

Dave

There are several ignition coils that can be used with points:

Mikesxs #17-6822, ( 4.5 ohms) has 37K volts and is reasonably priced. If you decide to later change over to a Pamco, this coil will work just fine.

H.D. OEM 31609-65A

Custom Chrome #17130

Accel Power Pulse #25507

The Accel #140403S, 3.3 ohms, (non CDI) can also be used with points, but you would need to use a 1.3 ohm ballast resistor in series with the primary. I used this coil for a year with a ballast resistor and with the points tied together in parallel................it worked very well. I changed over to a Pamco ignition, removed the ballast resistor, and used this same coil for the last 4 summers.

You don't want use a coil with less than 4 ohms primary resistance, for points ignition.

I run a dual coil with points on my 74, It runs so well i am to cheap to change it. the 78 motor i am working on now will get some sort of electronic iggy.

The coil i run is from a Seca 900, but i had to put a ballast resistor inline with it. You could run the cheaper gray Dual output points coil from mikes, then that would work with the Pamco too.

i tried to run points with a dual coil both with points hooked in parallel and with a dual lobed cam and never could get it to run right, always seemed to run a hair rougher than i wanted. got tired of dinking around with it and just switched to a pamco ignition and its running smoother than ever.

i'm not trying to detract from the others' statments but it was just my experience

These bikes will run quite well with points. Don't forget that cars, trucks and motorcycles all used points for roughly 70 years.

Points are fiddly, and must be kept gapped correctly as they wear, but they do get the job done. There's nothing to wear on a Pamco and it allows for a higher current flow to the coil primary which means higher output voltage.

..... and very often timing, lol. That's the short coming of the single points set-up. These points sets were made to be used in a dual points configuration. Use only one set and it does twice the work which wears it faster. Timing begins to change in as little as a few hundred miles. Been there, done that. Now I have a Pamco and am never going back.

That was my experience. When I installed the Pamco, I checked the points before removing them. They had previously been set about 400 miles before and the timing was already changing. Don't get me wrong, I love a single points set-up. I've been running them for years on my old BMWs. But those were designed that way and work really well. Points last 10 to 15K and usually require a re-set about halfway to that. I just don't think the Yamaha points are made as well as the BMW ones, maybe the rubbing block is softer or something.

I have run the points dual, dual coils, dual points, single coil, points linked as RG mentioned, and with the dual lobe cam.
They all work but need to be messed with a lot. The Pamco is pretty much set and forget.
For now I would use the dual points linked with a dual coil. Then later add the Pamco.
You can find a good dual coil on Ebay. Lots of the Harley style coils on there from around $15 bucks.
Just be sure it's a points coil. 3.5 to 5 ohms primary.
Leo

Yes, I'm a big fan of eBay Harley coils. Bought 2 so far for pennies on the dollar. $80 to $100 coils for $15 to $20.

Links probably won't help as I bought these a few years ago. The listing would be gone by now. But here they are, both aftermarket and shaped the same as a stock Harley coil .....

Coils.jpg

I used the Accel Power Pulse while I had points then switched to the 2.8 ohm red Andrews when I got the Pamco. I originally hooked the Pamco up with the Accel but Pete told me it would work better with a lower ohm coil. So, back to eBay I went and found the Andrews. The Accel cost me about $15 (total including shipping) and the Andrews about $25 (again, total including shipping). Both were brand new and retail in the $80 to $100 range. They're no Green Monsters, only putting out probably somewhere in the 30K to 40K range, but that's certainly an improvement over the wimpy stock 10-12K coils.

Hey guys, so I think I'm going to go with the Mikes 17-6822 dual coil to run with my stock points set up and I'm curious as to how to wire the points. I know someone mentioned doing something like wiring them "in parallel" but I'm not 100% sure how to do that. Anyone have a link to a "how to" or any pictures or anything? Thanks :)

Dave

You know what, don't sweat it guys, just knuckled under and blew some dough on a pamco. Thus begins the adventure :) Thanks for your help though, seriously you guys all rock hard.

Dave

Back