Dual outpoint coil and Points setup, Wiring

XS-UK

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I seem to Have lost the Plot and have been staring at my Chop wiring loom for ages , I havent touched an Xs or any form of Wiring in years now, Can someone please give me a quick idea of the how to wire in the points and condensor with a dual output coil thanks

I seem to Have lost the Plot and have been staring at my Chop wiring loom for ages , I havent touched an Xs or any form of Wiring in years now, Can someone please give me a quick idea of the how to wire in the points and condensor with a dual output coil thanks
You mean a single coil with dual output? If so, it's on here somewhere cause I had to ask myself a while back! I was told to hook both points wires together (with the one condenser wire as well) and a hot wire to the coil. Worked for me...

XS-UK, I'll be doing the same thing as you. Just to help you and me, my next question is, how to adjust points and timing with this setup ?

Scott

I think it stays the same as stock EXCEPT when you set the points, you might have to do it statically with a test light and do each set of points individual. (so hook one set up to the coil and the other Unhooked; then set. then unhook THOSE, hook the OTHER set up and set THOSE). I didn't change mine at all, it just ran like a champ as was...

One set of points has a grey wire and one set has an orange wire. Connect those 2 wires to the downstream terminal on the ignition coil. Power will come from the kill switch to the other side of the coil. The capacitor has 2 black wires................disconnect one of those black wires. The silver case contains 2 capacitors, you only use one capacitor.

The points are set the same as if you had 2 coils. Set the gap on each set first. Use a VOM on ohms, or a test light to set the static timing. Lastly start the engine and use a timing light to adjust the timing. You may see 2 timing flashes with the timing light, but no worries as long as they are both close to the F range .

If your timing light works poorly, switch over the timing light to the other spark plug lead, and it will work much better.

Last edited:

Hi XS-UK,
as I remember, MikesXS sells a dual lobe points cam which fits where the old one was.
Remove one set of points and hook the other set up to a condenser and the dual outlet coil.
Caveat:- There was a whole slew of posts claiming that MikesXS dual lobe points cam was 2º out.

One set of points has a grey wire and one set has an orange wire. Connect those 2 wires to the downstream terminal on the ignition coil. Power will come from the kill switch to the other side of the coil. The capacitor has 2 black wires................disconnect one of those black wires. The silver case contains 2 capacitors, you only use one capacitor.

The points are set the same as if you had 2 coils. Set the gap on each set first. Use a VOM on ohms, or a test light to set the static timing. Lastly start the engine and use a timing light to adjust the timing. You may see 2 timing flashes with the timing light, but no worries as long as they are both close to the F range .

If your timing light works poorly, switch over the timing light to the other spark plug lead, and it will work much better.

See guys, now THIS is why this site is one of the BEST!!!

Thanks for the replies guys, ive been having a tinkle this morning,

I did as i read and i was told above! link both points cables together and then link them to 1 condenser. and then link to earth,

soon as i touch he earth wire i get a spark from the right hand cylinder ht lead, not the left, left is dead

But even with the ignition off i still get a spark from just touch the wire to earth,

ive tried everyting ivebeen told apart from buying that part from mikes Xs cuz i live in England UK and i am on a Major deadline to get this bike finished,

im doing something wrong

can someone please draw me a wiring diagram for points with a dual output coil

cuz if you look at every wiring diagram you will find on the internet all the points models hae seperate coils

im wracking my brain here

thanks guys

DualFirePoints.jpg

If you are using a dual lobe cam then only wire up "Points 1", if using the single lobe cam then also wire up "Points 2".

Maybe this thread will help.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/single-coil-with-points.7128/#post-74111

The points set that isn't opening isn't gapped properly. In fact, it has no gap set on it at all. Setting or checking your points gaps is the first step in doing the timing. Check/set both gaps then check/set the timing. It must be done this way because when you change the points gap, that changes the timing.

Thanks for the Insult Retired Gentleman, My points Gap has been set and checked, No problem there, still nothing from the left hand cylinder. I involved a mate today whos an auto electrician, still nothing from the left, im putting it down to the coil playing up now

Well, you might double check your connections and wiring... What happens when you swap plug wires? Also, I've had plugs 'go bad' and certainly had plug wires separate and 'go bad'. It's trouble shooting time. Could be the insulator on that one set of points is worn thru or grounding... grounded? Sometimes having a very busty blonde come check the situation for you can help...

Thanks for the Insult Retired Gentleman, My points Gap has been set and checked, No problem there, still nothing from the left hand cylinder. I involved a mate today whos an auto electrician, still nothing from the left, im putting it down to the coil playing up now
Quote:
"Ive done exactly as was said and 1 set of points is permanently closed always"
Well, when you say things like that, it leads me to believe you are missing the basics and need a mentor to get you back on track.

I never have a problem with the single coil setup. Set the points gap properly. Then adjust the small plate if needed to be sure you are only seeing one timing mark. Seeing two means they are out of sync with each other. When you close them down to a single timing mark, adjust the larger plate to set timing. Hope that made sense.

Back