Dual output coil test woes...

Wel... the Goldwing coil arrived. I hooked it up the same way Gary described. The only difference between this and the Mikes XS coil is that this generates small sparks @ the neutral terminal as I tap the neutral wire. No sparks on the plug.

I'm starting to regret pulling a working points setup off this bike. At least it ran before this. Now it has just been sitting for 2 weeks. This is depressing.

I'm stuck. not really sure what to do.

The Honda coil looks solid. My grip with it is that it does not appear to have "threads" or whatever you want to call them on the contact point for the wires, so once vibrations etc. start - there is nothing to hold the wires onto the coil besides the little rubber rings around the plug.

On a side note: My caps are from Mikes XS also. They are the kind that's listed as "5K resistor plugs" but when I set the multimeter to ohms, they measure 0 end to end.

Last edited:
That rubber ring, more than just a rubber ring, and the cap make a compression fit to hold the wire to the coil. It won't vibrate out. What about your plug caps? Are they NGK? Are they old, how old? Have you performed a resistance test on the caps? THERE ARE 6 DIFFERENT CONNECTIONS INSIDE THOSE CAPS COUNTING THE RESISTER ITSELF. 6 DIFFERENT CONNECTIONS THAT CAN TARNISH AND CORRODE. SOMETIMES THE CORROSION CAUSES THEM TO WORK INTERMITTENTLY. THE INNER MOST CONNECTION CORRODES THE MOST. Are you shoving and twisting the wire into the coil? I measure the coil and caps, make a mark on the wire to be sure that the wire goes all of the way in. Test or not, change the caps for new NGK.

Scott

Never give up, never surrender!
Well... thank Mr. Two Wheel for the coil recommendation, Gary for the testing procedure, and 5Twins for the d@mn "don't forget the dialectric grease" procedures.... kids asleep... wife up north for the weekend.... I just stayed out in the garage and kept messing with it. Cliffs notes:
Created spark w the old Goldwing coil. All measurements on this coil are correct. The measurement of the coils from Mikes XS between the primary terminal and the core of the coil is zero leading me to believe I received a shorted out coil. I was paranoid to not hook up anything without 2 plugs so I guess we'll see what happens from here.

Like I said... kids are sleeping, so no attempts at starting Miesha tonight, but hopefully tomorrow!

Thanks all, stay tuned! I'm going to pour a few fingers of bourbon!

One question, primarily for Mr. TwoWheel, since you are the resident expert on these Honda Coils: I mounted it on a big a$$ extra negative battery cable that I had laying around. Should it be grounded? I see notes that the dual output coils can "float" and other notes that it needs to be grounded. What are your thougts?

Ha!!! No expert here. I just use the stuff that has good reputations, much more important when it comes to electrical components. I've heard both opinions about the grounding too. I think, mind you "think", that it is more important to mount coils with some bulk of metal to help cool the innards.

Weren't the old automotive coils encapsulated in oil to help cool them?

Scott

Last edited:
I had rigged up a ground connection before when I couldn't get it to work, I'll just retain it. The coil will sit on 2 standoffs made of steel anyway, so hopefully it conducts properly.

Wife is up north with her sister, took the kids to IKEA today, then ended up grilling with the neighbors and going to the pool with the kids and watching Rapunzel. Day disappeared. Hope to fire Miesha up tomorrow.

Back