Dual output coil test woes...

I been using these 140403 Accel on many bikes for many years.
DSCN8734.JPG DSCN8735.JPG

do not leave any pamco powered up with motor not turning.
Gary,
Small clarification. You should not leave any ignition on with the motor not running, even points. The factory TCI does have a time out for this problem and the PAMCO E-Advancer and E-Ignition has a feature that protects the coil from getting any current until you start or attempt to start the engine, but these safety features are like the safety on a gun. Not something you want to test!

Well I don't buy new... Sometimes it's hard to find the number, it should be the 3.0 ohm primary version. I am still checking whether it should be 140403 OR 140401, so many ads don't list the primary resistance.

Thanks gary.

On the old coil from the points system, what would be the equivalent of your manual spark setup?
Ground the coil.
Hook up 1 plug and ground it to the engine.
12V to orange wire?
Tap-to-ground to the brown wire?

Would the ohm difference create problems? The Pamco needs a 2.4 ohm coil, the original is like 4.5.

no 3.0 ohm works great w pamco.

from Pamco; Coil primary resistance: 2 to 5 Ohms, dual output.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's on the list of coils that PamcoPete states will work, so that's why I ordered it.

I plan to try to manually spark one of the old coils just to make sure I'm not insane. If I can't get that to spark then all bets are off. I it does spark then my test scenarios must have been accurate and the coil is no good.

That Goldwing coil will be interesting to try and if it works I may order one for the other bike.

I have one "in the wings" to eventually try on the '83 I'm fixing up. On my '78 w/ Pamco, I run a 2.8 ohm Andrews (nice $25 eBay bargain). I could never see the point in buying one of those MikesXS China sparkers when brand name coils were available for the same or less. This Honda MP08 coil really interests me. It will work with the Pamco or the stock TCI. I also like the fact that you can change the plug wires. You can't on the factory TCI coil, which is probably my biggest beef about it. And being able to buy these for $10 to $20 is a big draw. I will probably get a few as spares if the one I try works out well. Not that coil failures are common, but they do happen, and having a spare would make for very little bike down time.

Well... I was able to create a spark with the old coil, so that's good. Reeeeaaallly hard to though. I wonder if the plug somehow isn't getting a good ground connection to the cylinder head? I just had it wedged up against it. Also measured my battery. I was getting 12.4 so I have it on the charger for a bit to eliminate that variable.

Guys, don't expect these Honda MP08 coils to look like anything "special". They are small and have one goofy looking end. On the GoldWing forums, the forums with the guys that do their own work, these coils just do NOT fail, EVER. My experience with coils is really limited to Honda coils. The two generations of Honda coils before these were built like tanks, but they would very often crack and work intermittently. It's always been my thought and belief that a coil should be mounted with a certain mass of metal, like a heat sink, maybe I'm just full of shit.

Scott

A condenser will help bump up the spark. I made a spark testing rig on a piece of plywood with a relay wired to unpower itself when it closes. Runs about 3000 RPM LOL

Back