Dumb ass escapes death

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Uh no excuses... I dodged a bullet today and not by much. The Aero is my "grocery getter" I mostly play around with XS650s, anyways I didn't think the rear tire had that many miles. Big fender, the leather fringe thing, guess I haven't looked for a while.

blowntire 001.jpg

blowntire 002.JPG

I even checked air pressure this spring without looking at the tread. I had warnings today; some extra vibration coming and going, Well about 20 miles out I was playing with trucks at 75MPH on I90 when I heard the bang.

blowntire 004.JPG

I even looked at the truck along side me thinking backfire. But the backend started to swing and let me know what it was. Had to keep a bit of throttle in and slow down slloowwlyy and get off on the shoulder. I was only a quarter mile from a rest stop so idled it over there with the rear end slewing around. Wife was home, brought the van rode it up the ramp and now the tire is off the wheel and the new one is on order, no damage to the bike or wheel but it could have gone bad, very bad.

With all that I still made it to the meeting and got my work done but it might have been my last day....

I've found that when a tire wears through to its second cord the tire should be changed. (this is a joke)

Wow, you never think a tire could get this bad but the back tire on my XS was very thin in the middle in one spot. It made me think perhaps I shouldn't keep riding on bald tires. There's not much rubber after the tread is gone, evidently.

Glad you're okay, seems like this could have been bad.

Tom

Smart ass answer is about 300 too many.

You know I don't know. Was on the bike when I got it a few years ago. I think I have only about 3K on the bike it has 51K total. I replaced 5 shadow tires in the last few years Including the front on this bike and I guess I started thinking I had done the rear too. :doh:

Gary.................you have a guardian angel looking over you, and I suspect your driving skill allowed you to control the bike. Well done, now lets all go to the garage and check the tread depth:)

You're the king gggGary, good save!

The fender on that Aero is so big, it needs an inspection panel.
Maybe those fenderless brat/bobber guys are on to something...

If you love your bike, let it go. If it has a flat, hang on.

Phew! gggGary - my heart was in my mouth reading that. I had one years back when Ihad just started out riding - life flashed before eyes, trucks behind me. I remember doing the worst thing I could have done - put on the brakes. The whole thing went from under me. I was okay, and the trucks stopped.

Yes, retiredgentleman, guardian angels.

The tip about the throttle is a good one.

Glad you're safe.

Anlaf

"I'm glad everything turned out OK.....Al"

Uh yeah, and just today I was thinking about the fact I sent you out on that death trap last month. I am really sorry about that.

"I'm glad everything turned out OK.....Al"

Uh yeah, and just today I was thinking about the fact I sent you out on that death trap last month. I am really sorry about that.

No problem!!
I just appreciate you letting me use your bike.
Joni still talks about that ride ,it meant a lot to us to able ride together in Wisc.,Thanks again.
The ferry ride was the icing on the cake....Al

Back