(Dumb)Petcock Operation Question

76static

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel stupid for asking but I would rather ask and possibly get blasted than not do the right thing so here goes.

I just finished a two month '76 xs650 project with the original style(but brand new) gravity feed petcocks (I've never had a bike with this style before) and now that I'm riding it all the time I know the floats should stop fuel flow once full but I wasn't sure if it would be wise to turn them to the off position every time I get off the bike or not anyway. I have been and its kind of annoying so i wanted to make sure I wasn't waisting my time and also possibly prematurely wearing out the petcocks or not.

If you could enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it.:D

P.S. Here is a finished shot of the bike now that I'm (Basically) done.

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 109
Yes, turn them off whenever you park the bike. The float needle valves are a fuel shut-off while the carbs are operating but weren't designed to be a total shut off valve like the petcock is.

Yes, turn them off whenever you park the bike. The float needle valves are a fuel shut-off while the carbs are operating but weren't designed to be a total shut off valve like the petcock is.

Thanx a bunch 5twins! I'm glad I haven't been doing that needlessly.:thumbsup:

Get in the habit of turning them both to "OFF" whenever you stop and park. My check is simply this.............If the levers are horizontal...they're off!

Welcome, Blue

Last edited:
5twins is simplifing the operation of the float and valve. The float and float valve do shut off the fuel flow when the float bowls get full. This is a metering device, not a shut off device. The floats and valves control the fuel level so the carbs won't run to lean or to rich.
Leaving the petcocks on, the weight of the fuel in the tank can over power the floats and over fill the bowls. Depending on the carbs this can just run your gas on the ground or into the crank case. Neither is a good thing.
Also heat from the sunshine on the tank can pressurize the tank if the cap vent isn't working right, over flowing the bowls.
So as everyone says turn the petcocks off when not riding. I like to shut mine off about a mile from home so the gas in the carbs gets mostly used up.
Leo

Last edited:
Back