E advancer replacement cap.

elrichjoshua

Josh's stolen dream
Reaction score
I got my pamco with e advancer kit from Mikes xs a couple of years ago for a very slow project that I've been tinkering with and now that I'm trying to install it I have questions. Here's the first one. The advance replacement cap that I received isn't the aluminum one I see in the instructions but a copper colored cup shaped piece and I'm wondering what is going to prevent the locating pin in the camshaft on the right side from possibly flying out if the press fit loosens over time? Thanks and I appreciate you guys and had my first xs way back in '73. It was a 1b.

I have a spare aluminum cap for the E-advancer. If you want it, I can mail it down to you. All you need to do is pay the postage, which should be very little. You can give me your mailing address in a private message, called "start a conversation"........................click on my name to find the "s a c".

I have a spare aluminum cap for the E-advancer. If you want it, I can mail it down to you. All you need to do is pay the postage, which should be very little. You can give me your mailing address in a private message, called "start a conversation"........................click on my name to find the "s a c".
Have you seen the copper colored cap I've described? I'm thinking I can machine a sleeve and JB weld it over the end to close the notch and prevent the possibility of the pin flying out. I've seen you on this site for a couple of years since I discovered it and have much respect. I'm not proficient an navigating these sites. Computer illiterate. I'm going to fabricate a band or sleeve and JB weld it onto the cap I have to assure the pin doesn't fly out if the press fit were to come loose. If that fails I'll take you up on your offer. Thanks. One more question. I've seen two completely different instructions on the installation. One says install the rotor washer and nut on left side of shaft. Slide through cam and then install the cap. The other says to install the cap on the shaft first and then slide it through the cam and install the rotor on the left side. The second one sounds bad to me and you'd have to draw the rotor on the shaft by tightening the nut. Another guy told me he stripped the threads on the shaft doing it that way. I feel better pressing the rotor onto the left side of the shaft. The cap doesn't seem to require the same amount of force. I am thinking that the cap that you have probably requires the same kind of force to install. This one I have doesn't. Thanks for being there.

Actually that's a lot of trouble to go through to make that retaining sleeve. I'm just going to give you my address here. Easier for my dumb ass and I'm not hiding from anyone. 2806 Mimosa Rd. Brunswick GA 31520 How do I pay for it? Thanks again.

forgot to give you a name along with my address. Josh Elrich. Sorry to bother you. I have fourteen days clean today and might be a little scrambled yet.

Congratulations on your 14 days clean and sober.
tim

RG's a decent chap I bet he would take a check sent to the return address.
I'm waiting to hear back from him. Thanks. Have you by any chance seen the type of cap that I described? I don't see it mentioned in any instruction page I've gone to.
The cap is available for $2 plus $6 shipping on www.yamahaxs650.com Might be cheaper and faster because I am in SC.
Is there a reason that I should not use the one provided? Why did I get that one in the first place? Honestly if that's some old discontinued part or inferior in some way I think you ought to send me a new one for free. You provided no installation instruction pertaining to that design and by the way I've seen two different pages of instructions that are conflicting. I think I'll just go with the guy from Canada that is willing to give me his extra and just pay the shipping. If I have to shell out a few bucks I'd rather give it to him. I just hope the darn thing works for a good while. when I'm all done. Honestly I'm not impressed now that I've held the parts in my hand and had a good look at them close up.

I'm waiting to hear back from him. Thanks. Have you by any chance seen the type of cap that I described? I don't see it mentioned in any instruction page I've gone to.

Is there a reason that I should not use the one provided? Why did I get that one in the first place? Honestly if that's some old discontinued part or inferior in some way I think you ought to send me a new one for free. You provided no installation instruction pertaining to that design and by the way I've seen two different pages of instructions that are conflicting. I think I'll just go with the guy from Canada that is willing to give me his extra and just pay the shipping. If I have to shell out a few bucks I'd rather give it to him. I just hope the darn thing works for a good while. when I'm all done. Honestly I'm not impressed now that I've held the parts in my hand and had a good look at them close up.
One sheet says there are tapered pins. The other makes no mention of that. One sheet says install the rotor to the shaft first. The other sheet says install the cap first. One sheet warns that the labels on some early units may have been switched but does not tell you how to determine if you have one with the incorrect label or not. One sheet says to put the rotor and large washer on and tighten the nut. I've heard from one guy already that said the nut stripped in the process of drawing the rotor onto the shaft and he had to replace the shaft. Your instructions are woefully inadequate and I'm not an imbecile. I rebuilt automatic transmissions for over twenty five years and am an NIASE certified tech and a patented inventor and fabricator and designer of special tools.

Sorry if I come across at all harsh but I'm on my 14th day clean and sober . Don't really know if that has anything to do with it really. I'm just being honest and thorough in my evaluation of your product and instructions. Maybe it's MikesXS's fault but I don't think so. He can't deliver instructions that you don't provide and certainly can't be responsible for the inadequacy of those instructions. And I have never bought anything that I had to go on line to get the instructions for. I guess it would just cost you too much to print them out eh?

elrichjoshua..........................Pamcopete is probably right........................cheaper and quicker to order from his website.
Let us know what you choose.
I'd like to know about this part that I received. Is it useable? Have you ever seen this type of cap? In reality I don't think I should have to spend a dime if I was provided with an inferior or discontinued part that no instructions are provided for. How much can the shipping be from Canada for that little piece? If I were the manufacturer I'd want to make my customer happy and I'd send him the good part at my expense. I was a manufacturer and distributed my own product. I'd also provide instruction sheets with the product. Both of the pieces the rotor and the cap utllize a press fit to keep the pin from beating out the aluminum. As bad as I found the installation instructions to be I also just realized that no info has been provided for disassembly should that be necessary. With both ends pressed on how would you recommend removing the advanced shaft? This is info that should be provided. I'm sorry that I'm a bit edgy. I'm sure my brain is working overtime now that it isn't sedated. I am or was before disability/retirement a professional and more familiar than most with all kinds of mechanical assemblies. Automatic transmissions are no walk in the park. I really want to know if the part I was provided is useable . Except for the obvious (to me) lack of a positive means of holding the pin it seems alright. I would thing that Pete would know and would have heard of any instances of that happening. A two dollar part. Hmm. At the very least I think he should give me the part for free and just request that I pay the shipping. I bought the set up so long ago that I'm sure he or MIkes isn't going to honor any warranty should there be any other problems. I guess that's my fault. I should have waited till I was ready to install in before ordering. If and when it does crap out I'll get a boyer branson or what ever the name is. I know that they have a very good reputation. Hundreds of dollars for this kit and he doesn't want to offer me a two dollar part to replace something that he should never have sent out? For that reason alone I'd rather give you the money that him. If he would just tell me either that this part is fine to use or this part was discontinued for the reason I suspect and the sleeve I considered making with make everything alright. I don't know man. I've had issues with other stuff I got from Mikes also and had to modify and correct things that he wouldn't be responsible for. I'm probably more of a perfectionist that most but transmissions don't work worth a damn or for very long if they are half assed.

Hey, elrichjoshua. Yeah, you're struggling with something that had a few gotchas, covered in long-ago threads. The copper cap was changed over to billet aluminium in 2013, some mention in here:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/pamco-timing-any-ideas-on-this-one-pete.30395/

The advancer rod can be either an original OEM part, or an aftermarket part made in the far east, with some history. Some of those aftermarket rods were too long, or too short, causing end-play issues. Some had a weak spot on the threaded end, and would break off. Lastly, the 2 pins that fit into the rod were originally 3mm diameter, and I've suspected some intermixing of 3mm and 1/8" holes and pins. Some would easily slide out, some wouldn't fit. PamcoPete has no control over that advance shaft.

More in-depth info on the Pamco ignition was compiled last year by member 650Skull in this thread:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/pamco-ignition.46859/

Hey, elrichjoshua. Yeah, you're struggling with something that had a few gotchas, covered in long-ago threads. The copper cap was changed over to billet aluminium in 2013, some mention in here:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/pamco-timing-any-ideas-on-this-one-pete.30395/

The advancer rod can be either an original OEM part, or an aftermarket part made in the far east, with some history. Some of those aftermarket rods were too long, or too short, causing end-play issues. Some had a weak spot on the threaded end, and would break off. Lastly, the 2 pins that fit into the rod were originally 3mm diameter, and I've suspected some intermixing of 3mm and 1/8" holes and pins. Some would easily slide out, some wouldn't fit. PamcoPete has no control over that advance shaft.

More in-depth info on the Pamco ignition was compiled last year by member 650Skull in this thread:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/pamco-ignition.46859/
Thanks a million. This is the best info anyone has offered including Pete. I bought this stuff in 2016 or late 2015. Kind of strange that Mike's still had that old stuff. I'll check out the link tomorrow after I get some sleep. I have a perfectly good stock rod. Don't know why I bought the Chinese one. Guess I just wanted everything new. Guess I'll carefully compare lengths to see if the Chinese one is useable or if it belongs in the trash. Guess I'll learn more tomorrow. I can't thank you enough. Now I can actually go to sleep. This has been bugging the crap out of me all day and night. You'd think or I would that Pete would have started with this info. I don't EVER want to deal with MIKES again. I didn't know there were any possible issues with the shaft itself and wasn't blaming Pete for that but he could have told me about the design change in the cap right off the bat. Ah well. Not surprised at this point. Lot of outfits selling substandard stuff out there. Upon close examination of the machining of the aluminum parts I can tell you without a doubt that they are not first rate and if I showed them to the screw machine guys that made parts for me they would laugh and shake their heads in disapproval. As far as the instructions I do blame Pete for that. Someone is to blame for the faulty shafts too. Quality control issue. Whoever distributes/sells them has the responsibility of monitoring their products and if not getting things made to proper specs they should be rejected and perhaps different manufacturers should be contracted to produce the parts. Not just sell them anyway. Good night good sir.

The cap is available for $2 plus $6 shipping on www.yamahaxs650.com Might be cheaper and faster because I am in SC.
Alright. I give up. You win. I'd love to buy the 2 dollar cap for my xs and pay the six bucks shipping but I just looked and can't find it listed separately. Can you PLEASE just make this happen? Thanks so much for all your help. My telephone number is 912 3760904 if you need to call me. I'd actually like it if you did Carpal tunnel problems don't make typing a pleasure. My e mail is joshuaelrich@att.net if that comes in handy. Let's just do this already.

A good choice! Pamcopete is your best source and cheaper than the postage from Alberta.
You will be happy with the Pamco and E-advancer ignition.
Good luck.
Thanks. I hope so. I hope he gets back to me soon and we finalize the deal. I don't see the cap on his page. I never actually put a magnet to the cap to see if it was really copper. I figured that it must have been some coating. Seems really stupid if it is indeed soft copper. Still don't understand why I received this part two or three years after it was discontinued. Honestly this is making it hard on my sobriety today. I could sure use a joint or a stiff drink. But I won't . Learning to live life on life's terms as they say. I'm going to dig up the used stock shaft that I know I have somewhere in the garage and just junk the Chinese crap. Length appears to be critical. Too long and you have undesirable end play. Too short and you could snap off the end of the shaft when tightening. Still not clear on best assembly procedure. I don't like the idea of using the nut to draw the rotor over the pin. I have a feeling we'll all be better acquainted through my project. I'm looking forward to sharing photos soon. Unfortunately I'll probably never be able to ride the distances to any shows or meets because of my back. Thanks and don't kick me off the sight till I get this thing on the road. I know I can be an asshole but I'm a pretty smart asshole.

On the left side of the home page on www.yamahaxs650.com there is a "Buy Now" button with a pull down just above the "Buy Now" button. The first selection is for the E-Advancer. Click on that and the other two choices will appear. Select "New Adapter" and then click on the "Buy Now" button to complete the transaction. You will be redirected to PayPal where you can choose to either use your PayPal account or a Major credit card.

On the left side of the home page on www.yamahaxs650.com there is a "Buy Now" button with a pull down just above the "Buy Now" button. The first selection is for the E-Advancer. Click on that and the other two choices will appear. Select "New Adapter" and then click on the "Buy Now" button to complete the transaction. You will be redirected to PayPal where you can choose to either use your PayPal account or a Major credit card.
Got it. Thanks....I guess.

Back