Early retirement....who's done it?

boredom will be the biggest killer after being use to working big hours , and I mean killer known blokes to just turn their toes up in first few yrs

Exactly what happened to my Dad. Retired after working full time in a factory PLUS farming 120 acres. Sold out, moved to a retirement village in Arizona (Sun City) and went toes up less than two years later.

Exactly what happened to my Dad. Retired after working full time in a factory PLUS farming 120 acres. Sold out, moved to a retirement village in Arizona (Sun City) and went toes up less than two years later.
That's sad...

And common. I kinda think that situation is not always as seen from the outside. Often stoics have an idea the hand nears the midnight hour, and take steps to ease the exit.
At 63 for sure, things they are a changing.
At a recent annual check up my doctor said I should take up flying again. I'm thinking he's not wanting me to burden the insurance system.

Yup - my Dad was a wonderful guy and a talented high school electrical shop teacher. Unfortunately, he never developed any hobbies or interests outside of work and so when he retired, he whiled away the hours sitting at the kitchen table smoking and doing cross-word puzzles. He was good at that too - but what a limited way to use such a bright mind.

He died about 12 years after he retired - of lung cancer - and I miss him every day.

Last edited:
My last 25 years of employment was working for the post office in SUN CITY AZ , 15 years of that I was delivering mail there. I got to know many many retirees and you see the patterns. There are those who retire and completely disengage and those who see retirement as their opportunity to do things they truly love to do.
The ones who just sit, die early , almost every time. The one exception being my wife’s uncle, who retired at 55 from the post office and just celebrated his 93rd birthday and he’s never left his recliner! :smoke:

I tell people considering retirement to watch the first 30 min or so of About Schmidt. Jack Nicholson retires and finds he's got nothing. Avoid the rest of the movie unless you are a glutton for punishment and want to see a topless Kathy Bates :yikes:

I know people who say they love what they do and never want to retire but these are also the people who don't have any real hobbies and sacrificed their families for their jobs and lifestyle. No thanks.

I retired at 59, after 44 years of slinging wrenches, covered in grease and oil everyday. I enjoyed my work, but age soon catches up in that profession, and it became too much. Kids were gone, house and cars paid for, owe nothing to no one. Told my wife I'm done, she said ok, go for it. That was 8 years ago, and don't regret it for a minute. Wife decided soon after to go down to 3 days a week, which she still does, so we have lots of time together. Days that I am alone I spend working in my garage, thats what bikes are for, and when she is off work we do other stuff. Best decision I ever made. Got to make sure the ducks line up though, or one can find them selves in some financial trouble in no time.

Back