Early vs late model axle size

Duvel

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok, well I probably suck at using the search function, but I need some info. I seem to remember reading that there was a difference in axle size and/or length between the early and later model XS650's. I don't know if it was the front, rear, or both. I'm in search of some spoke wheel hubs or assemblies for my 1980 that I am hardtailing. Just need to make sure of what is interchangeable and what is not. Thanks ahead of time.

What are the differences? If I was to buy a set of early wheels for my 1981 bike, would I have to use the early axles or use my current ones?

The diameters are the same and actually, all the front disc brake axles are the same. The drum brake front axles differ but I'm not sure how, probably length. Rear axles differ in length, the older ones are shorter. What you use will depend on what fits best I guess. Many of these hardtails don't have the same width between the axle plates as a stock swingarm so some additional spacers or some custom spacer making is required. I don't know why they make them that way, you'd think they would be the same. Of course, it may be partly the fault of the installer sometimes, not jigging the hardtail with the wheel spacing correct before welding it on.

Get spoked wheels from the 74 up. They all used the same axles, drum or disc rears mag or spoked.
All interchange.
Well converting drum to disc can be a hassle on a stock bike but on a hardtail frame everything is easy, a blank canvas.
Leo

Back