earthquate... in N.Z today... christchurch

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
here we go again ,,in N Z at about 12.53pm today... tuesday.. NZ suffered a 6.3 earthquate in christchurch.. ,,the worst hit was about 4-5 square blocks in christchurch ..then about 2 hrs lter they had an after shock ,,same spot of 5.3 ...and only 5-6 k under ground... ... my thoughts are with them ...regards oldbiker

I've been watching the coverage on this and it ain't looking good, many people still trapped and missing............

Our thoughts go out to our cousins across the ditch

hi guys ,,in christchurch they have had 30 after shocks with the most recent after shock reading 4.2. all overnight. the gov. rectons it will cost around 16 billion to fix... ... i think i,d move.. regards oldbiker

sad, man. heard on the radio today that trapped people in collapsed buildings are able to call loved ones an their cell phones. Can't even begin to fathom that.
Yeah, you might move, but were? tornados and random crimes in us, civil wars in the middle east. When I lived in Auburn ,Washington, friends aked Why, I said, gotta live somewere.

NZ is a riders paradise, beautiful roads that twist and turn, they even know how to camber corners over there. Great people that live in or as close to paradise as you can get, mother nature isn't selective otherwise she'd be dealing with that gadaffi clown right now. fancy giving licence to the idiot followers to "shoot to kill....."
Sorry to get on the bandwagon......................not the place I know

the biggest problem for reconstruction is the ground has be liquefied and there is no base for foundations.

two big quakes in 6 months with the related aftershocks, been thousands since September, would put me off rebuilding. Some people may not be able to afford to move.

Seismologists are predicting a quake of the magnitude of 8 for the Wellington region and they have been saying it has been long overdue for a while, now this has happened they are saying it could help to trigger the big one. Fucking horrible thought but that is NZ just like California we cannot escape it. Its nature and we have to live with it, not that it makes it any easier, i am an expat Kiwi i living in north Queensland with the threat of Cyclones every year, but we get warnings, quakes just hit and there is little time to react.

Fucking burgles and scammers are out and about already. Should be shot on sight

Here is a different view and who knows, maybe it is something to look at.

and I live in the bush where fires are an ever present concern, like you skull we have the luxury of some warning and can prepare, how do you prepare for a building falling around you in an instant?
Mate of mine is in Christchurch, his house is standing but everything inside is trashed, like its been picked up, shacken well and dropped down again. He said they experienced something the equivalent of 3G's in sideways movement!! similar to being T-Boned by a car doing 50mph, could that be true? I for one cannot even start to imagine that

Rude, i have read reports of 1.6Gs but i would not be surprised. people were hugging the ground in fear and still getting tossed around, it lasted for 40 seconds and that is a bloody long time in a quake. I shudder writing about it.
I think fires are the next on the list after quakes, there is nothing left after a fire and what is is damaged.

hi new to site ride 650's, live in christchurch new zealand, the high rise buildings that got damaged heavily are all just about pulled down, lots of empty space in town now strange to see it like that, people with damaged houses are being repaired still, and the ones that where to far gone to be repaired have been paid out, some roads around chch are still a bit bumpy, still getting good after shocks but we carry on as best we can

Jwils, best of luck to you, family, friends and neighbors. This is horrible news.

I live in Seattle, which according to statistics is the only major city along the "Ring of Fire" to not have had a major earthquake in the last 50 years. Of course, that means nothing, as it can happen today or 100 years from now. But, we're long-overdue. I've been through a few here, Alaska and California, and there's nothing more unsettling than to have the ground beneath you, that you rely on, betray you in a sense.

Once in a blue moon we get a little reminder of a sleeping giant in our midst.......
http://www.showme.net/~fkeller/quake/sitemap.htm
Some years ago I awoke pre-dawn for no apparent reason. Went to the kitchen for a drink of water and heard what sounded like 80 MPH straight line winds. I peeked out the front door to see no trees moving(?????). A few seconds later it hit with a slam, house shook, dishes rattled and then it was gone. Strange thing to hear it coming.
Anyway, lots of interesting reading in the link, 'specially the 1812 eyewitness reports.

Sorry to hear about the earthquake. I hope you new Zealanders are getting the help and aid you need. I've always wanted to visit, and hope to make it there someday.

Just a few days ago I was watching a show about unusual homes. One of them was the home of the late John Britten ( http://www.britten.co.nz/ ) in Christchurch. It is a gorgeous home that he designed from an old stables, if I remember correctly, and his wife and children still live there. Do you know if it sustained any damage?

yeah i have been to the house years ago to pick there car up for a repair, i would say the house would be fine, probaly some damage but fixable was on the good side of town that didnt get to much, very nice place didn't get a good look into it but what i saw was amazing

Back