Easiest how-to wiring for a newbie?

XS650fan009

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Im looking for some help wiring my bike for the first time. Its a 79, and i'm looking to wire up the bare basics.

I've seen some diagrams on how to wire what to what, but I don't know where to really begin. I'm mechanically knowledgeable, but when it comes to wiring i'm completely lost.

i'm thinking about doing something like this (as it seems to be the simplist):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/burlymugg/simplifiedWiring2.jpg

I've searched all over, but can't seem to find any specific step-by-step guide as to how to get started.

i'm sure its rather straight forward, and once I do it the first time i'll get the hang of it. I just have very little wiring experience so i'm hoping for some guidance.

Any help is appreciated! my bike has no electrical upgrades, all stock.

Hi Fan09 - Wiring is not hard - just not familiar to you. Just do it one circuit at a time. Wire the headlights. Wire the Brake lights. Wire the ignition. Etc... til it's done.

HEY WELCOME
I sell wire harness kits that are made up and easy for you to finish up For $55.00 shipped.
I also do full harnesses with all the switches and you lay it on bike and hook up your lights and parts and done for $125.00
But if I was you I would go with the harness kit this way you can learn how to wire a bike.
Either way I am here to help you ....

Totally agree with ^; wiring isn't hard, just time consuming, and easy to get overwhelmed.

If you're looking at that diagram, then you're going battery-less...so literally it's one wire going from coil (wherever you place it) to the regulator/rectifier (wherever you place it)...and add a 20A fuse in between it as well as a split to the key switch (wherever you place it). The key switch will likely have wires and a plug on it...so you connect it with the same type of plug (or cut them to whatever connector you choose), and now you move on to the next segment, etc. Having the right crimp-on ends, crimp tool, and correct wires/lengths is important... and practicing soldering is a good idea...but again, it's just taking one wire at a time.

But the easiest way is to get the kit or buy the pre-made one with the switches, etc. and essentially routing the wires is all that's needed.

I personally like wiring up a bike, it's kind of like a puzzle to solve and puts me in a zen-like state of mind...but I'm odd like that. :)

Good luck.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad I made this thread, i didn't realize that diagram didn't have a battery!

Do any of you have a simple-wiring diagram that you recommend that does include a battery?

Here are ones I use all the time. Like everyone said . Its not hard to wire up a bike. Some guys can get it done in less than 5 hours and others are LOST in the wires.
Use good wire and make good connections and tie all your grounds together. Here is a picture of my wire kit and some diagrams.

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 288
  • 650 wires.jpg
    650 wires.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 296
  • wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 267
  • xs650-PMA-PAMCO-basic-diagram.jpg
    xs650-PMA-PAMCO-basic-diagram.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 388
  • spax.jpg
    spax.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 236
  • wiringXS01_zpsedd450f2.jpg
    wiringXS01_zpsedd450f2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 256
heh. I went through a "building electronic music instruments" phase a few years back.
Zen-Like is really a good description of the mindset I fall into when I wire a complicated project.
You wire the panels just like you wire a bike, or anything else. One wire at a time.

Attachments

• drum4.jpg
    drum4.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 215
heh. I went through a "building electronic music instruments" phase a few years back.
Zen-Like is really a good description of the mindset I fall into when I wire a complicated project.
You wire the panels just like you wire a bike, or anything else. One wire at a time.

Now that's a serious wiring job. :thumbsup:

Thank you all, this is really helpfull stuff.

After looks at those diagrams, I think this one might be what i'm looking for:

View attachment 55808

What guage wiring do you guys recommend? i'm guessing the wire guage varies dending on what part its going to?

Also, where do you recommend I pick up wiring supplies? Would radio shack be a good resource?

I've wired a few bikes before. In my opinion you start with the most important circuit first. On the XS650 that's the charging system. They won't run well or long with out a working charging system.
In the diagrams DADDYGCYCLES posted I like the second one. It shows a basic points with separate regulator and rectifier. Starter system upper right. There are the later TCI and combo reg/rec in boxes. Just swap boxes to match what you have.
If you run a non stock ignition just wire it in after the engine stop switch. If you want to add other circuits it's easy just add a fuse run the wire.
Once you get the bike wired for the charging and ignition get it running and test the charging. If it all works fine then proceed to the rest.
Just remember that circuit came from the same root word as circle. This means that any circuit is a circle. power flows from the battery to what you want to run then returns to the battery. ENSURE good grounds.
Leo

...What guage wiring do you guys recommend? i'm guessing the wire guage varies dending on what part its going to?

Also, where do you recommend I pick up wiring supplies? Would radio shack be a good resource?

A member here sells wiring kits:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41952
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41953

Then, there's these sources:

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-78.html#products
http://www.vintageconnections.com/
http://Cycleterminal.com/
http://terminalsupplyco.com/default.aspx
http://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/sup/pages/bullets.htm

I tell you one of the best things i did re wiring was buy a ratcheting crimping tool set with variable type fittings. Perfect effortless crimp every time regardless of the type of connector. Honestly it was worth every cent.

I've wired a few bikes before. In my opinion you start with the most important circuit first. On the XS650 that's the charging system. They won't run well or long with out a working charging system.
In the diagrams DADDYGCYCLES posted I like the second one. It shows a basic points with separate regulator and rectifier. Starter system upper right. There are the later TCI and combo reg/rec in boxes. Just swap boxes to match what you have.
If you run a non stock ignition just wire it in after the engine stop switch. If you want to add other circuits it's easy just add a fuse run the wire.
Once you get the bike wired for the charging and ignition get it running and test the charging. If it all works fine then proceed to the rest.
Just remember that circuit came from the same root word as circle. This means that any circuit is a circle. power flows from the battery to what you want to run then returns to the battery. ENSURE good grounds.
Leo

this is great info. my electronics are all stock. i'll definitely be referencing this thread when I eventually tackling this.

You can always contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM
and I will respond the quickest.
They come in different styles
KITS Have two in stock ready to ship $45.00 AUG SALE
FULL HARNESS with switches TESTED before you get it - Start at $125.00 basic 2 week turn around time
Rich

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1783.JPG
    IMG_1783.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1784.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 217
HEY WELCOME
I sell wire harness kits that are made up and easy for you to finish up For $55.00 shipped.
I also do full harnesses with all the switches and you lay it on bike and hook up your lights and parts and done for $125.00
But if I was you I would go with the harness kit this way you can learn how to wire a bike.
Either way I am here to help you ....

Hey DaddyG if you are still making harnesses I would like one. I am building a 1980 with essentially a stock ignition TCI setup with battery. I plan on a new fuse block, key, electric start, lights, signals, and brakes. What do you think?

Yes I still make them and for what you want with turn signals I have some questions
What switches are you going to use ?
Handle bar or other switches ?
How big is your light bucket ?
Where are you placing lights ?
Stock-BOBBER- Chopper- Brat- CAFE?
You can always get me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM
Prices start at $55.00 for kit ..... $75.00 with turn signals .... $125.00 for full harness
You would also need TC BROTHERS ALT/REC/REG kit $37.00 to hook up TCI
Rich

Back