Elec components

The reserve lighting unit will light the high beam at a lower brightness if the low beam burns out. The light checker checks your brake light to make sure it's working.

I think it's either on the plastic part of the fender behind the battery box or on the battery box.

My book says it does, it just don't say where. On my 75 it's was mounted on the fender. It's in the spare parts bin now.

The '80 supplement factory manual doesn't have it in the schematic for the Special. The supplement has an '80 Standard which I didn't know existed, which has a single taillight on the fender, and it does have it, but I don't think that bike exists :) It's not in the '81 schematic and the '80S wiring is probably identical. They might have left it out because of the two taillights? Somebody called me on this the other day (its presence or absence) so I looked it up then to see if I guessed right :)

Looked a bit closer, the G and SG book has two diagrams. It shows on the G diagram and not on the SG.
The G was the Special II that year. It had the Spoked wheels. The SG was the Special, with mag wheels.

Some pics I'm digging up have the '80 Special II with its taillight on the fender. That's probably the animal that still has the device on it. It'd bet its seat opens to the side.

Thats what I have 1980 G with taillight on fender and seat opening to side> I found the reserve lihting and I think the safety relay but not the other what does it look like?

The reserve lighting unit is a grey box on the frame just behind the battery.
The safety relay is on the right side of the battery box just under the starter relay. it has two square boxes on one plate, kinda silver colored.
Xj, my supplymentary service manual has pics in the front of both models.

Attachments

• scan0005 (611x950).jpg
    scan0005 (611x950).jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 72
the top picture is what i have yeah i've found both of those safety relay id kinda silver gold looking to sqaure boxes. My wiring diagram for the G says theres one on it but cant find it anyways Im gonna see if the brake light switches are fubar today after I get a 1157 for the brake light. I think I have one but have to check. I'll let yall know if I find the problem I decided to chase today.

It might be on the rear of the battery box. It's about 2 inches long, 3/4 inch square. Black or grey colored. 7 wires out one end. Black, black/red, blue, yellow, red/white, blue/yellow, brown.

Back