electric field around sparkplugs

rick peden

XS650 Member
Reaction score
when my multimrter is placed or pushed thru the surrounding area of the sparlkplugs the little red light flashes is this normal or cood it be a clue as to why im having charging problems thank you all in advance i am such a rookie

None of my multi-meters have a little red light so I can't say much about that.
Now any conductor that has a current flow through it has a magnetic field around it. That and the fact that any conductor that passes through a magnetic field gets a current flow through it. These two principles are what make most everything on these bikes function.
Just how much of a field gets generated around a spark plug probably won't effect much of anything. A non-resister plug may cause RF interference.
If it makes the light flash on your meter when it's close to the plugs then don't put it near the plugs.
Leo

It's probably a live circuit detector feature of your meter. What's its make an model?

Nothing to do with your charging problem though. Have you downloaded a manual? The one for my year at least includes a little bit of charging troubleshooting. You have to be methodical and go through steps solving that problem.

I don't know if the expanded guide covers this, but a lot of times a harness connector has turned to crap and because of that, the original Curly's guide could lead you to believe a component was bad when it was really just a connector. My problem was a homemade twisted splice that had turned to crap way down in the harness by somebody putting in a new fuse box. I rode to Texas barely charging, and finally figured it out down there just to get it off my mind.

If I had to do it over, the way I'd do it is I'd test all the relevant components separately disconnected from the bike, and if that didn't show up anything I'd buy a new harness! For solid state bikes, I think the manual includes an off the bike rectifier/regulator test, which is useful.

What that light could be doing is reading a live wire.........

if you go through the whole loom, disconnecting all connectors, (bullet and couplings), clean check for damage, repairing where necessary, and removing the pins from the connectors and cleaning as well ............this will make your loom work to it best ability.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/continuity-testing-made-easy.49917/

Before and after cleaning bullet connectors
P1000974.JPG P1000980.JPG

Back