Electric start help!

Reaction score
Hello everybody Im new here and pretty young restoring my father's 74 my
Grandfather had taken the bike when my father passed and just recently
Gave it to me. He said he has done alot on it but one major thing he said
The electric start does not work he got angry and couldn't get it to work
I think he said he threw it away? I'm not very sure what goes into it but can
Somebody help me figure out if and what is on the bike iv tried Google but
Would rather real life advice. And can't find anything about it. Help!

Attachments

• IMG_20160418_132339.jpg
    IMG_20160418_132339.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 223
Well first you got to see if you have the parts still on bike. Starter is under motor at rear of motor held in with 4 bolts. Starter soliniod is under side cover. I don't think he went into motor and removed shaft. SO FIRST look and see what you got. Testing starter is easy.

Attachments

• starterth.jpg
    starterth.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 210
  • solinoidth.jpg
    solinoidth.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 204
Hello and welcome to the site Jared.
Like daddyG says you will need to become familiar with the bits and pieces to figure out what may be missing.
Do you know what wasn't working with the starter. Doesn't engage, engages but kicks out, doesn't even turn the motor?
While it is easy to dismiss a battery till "it is running" a good fully charged battery is a key player in the scheme of things.
If your battery is questionable replace it. Then move on to the other problems.

Thank you all for the replies! The battery is brand new and when it's on ready to start I push the button and absolutely nothing happens not even a noise I don't currently have a reliable place to take major things apart nor the tools. I will read up thank you so much. I'm also fixing the carburetors they're very dirty and need replacement parts. Again I can't thank you guys enough

On your bike the e-start system is pretty simple. If you look in the "Some Wiring Diagrams" thread you will find a diagram for your bike.
A quick run down.
Power after the key switch flows to the engine stop switch. From there it flows to the coils and the safety relay. From the safety relay to the starter relay, From the starter relay up to the start button. When you press the start button it grounds the circuit. Thus spinning the starter.
As the engine stats a bit of power is drawn off the alternator to the safety relay, this trips the safety relay and shuts of power to the starter relay.
This shuts down the starter and keeps it from working when the engine is running.
Nice Bike there, I like the background story. I assume you might try to keep it the way it was when your father had it. If so, good, I respect that.
Leo

A few things to check real quick...

a) Look under the bike, do you see a black thing bolted to the bottom...looks just like Daddycycles's pic in post #2? It should have one wire attached to it.

b) When you turn the key on, above the starter button is a dial that can be set to either "off" or "run"... and this is in the "run" location when you push the button?

c) If you do have an '75...I think there's just the one fuse (I may be wrong on when they added more fuses)...have you checked it to make sure it's not blown? (I think it's on the right side of the bike, under the side cover. Is it there and can you see the thin metal element inside that's all one piece?

c) If you answered yes to all of these...then we'll need to dig into your wiring and see where power is going...or rather, not going.

Good story btw, hope we can help!

Thanks! It's a blast to ride too.

OK, well that's easy. Sounds like you definitely don't have a starter...thus, you can either kick start only or find a starter to put in there. :)

However, before you go kicking the bike to start it...look back under the bike, and where the starter would go, should now be an empty space...In that space there is a hole that would be where the starter gear goes into. Do you see the hole? or is there a round plate covering it?

Here's what the plate might look like (Not my image):
100_6024.jpg

If there's a hole, you'll need to plug it to keep the oil in if you want to start the bike.

They're is a round plate covering the hole. So I guess I'll need to find a starter I'm not worried about it right now I like kick start and am a new Rider I just need to finish the carbs and I'm good to go!

Back