Electrical 7 wire rectifier

tigs79

XS650 Member
Reaction score
HI there guys,

Need help, battery not charging, i have a 7 wire rectifier from mikesxs connected,
it run fine then it stopped charging , i tested rotor 5ohms, the stator between the white wires I get .4 ohm. I took the exact same rectifier from another bike that was working and fitted it same results. when the motor is running higher revs it seems to charge the battery a little 0.01 0.02 instead of draining it. Lastly i never unearthed the one brush and the bike worked fine till now, only now i was told to do so and did it, only after it stopped charging earthed it again thinking that could be part of the cause but no results
I'm at a point with out many solutions that I can think of, maybe you can help.
also when motor is running not getting alternating current between the white stator wires

Thanks

Depending on which reg/rec you got from Mike's you either have to or don't. If your bike is, and I'm guessing here, you have a70-79 bike. He sells one that is a direct fit to your bike and doesn't need the brushes ungrounded.
At this point I would put the brushes back the way they where and while doing that look at the brushes. Are they less than about 3/8 inch long? If so get new ones.
Once you have it wired right, put your meter on the basttery, hook a jumper wire to the battery+, long enough to reach the brushes. Now start the bike and while watching the meter touch the jumper wire to the green brush wire at the brush. Does the meter reading change. If your rotor and stator are working it should start ti climb, faster if you rev the engine a bit. Don't let the voltage go over about 15 volts.
This test bypasses the reg part of the reg/rec and makes the alternator max the output.
Report back what you find.
Leo

Back