Electrical connectors for rewire

alwaysmonday

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have completed a simplified rewire of a 79 2FO and as I sit here looking at it I don't like the simple electrical connectors. They have to be the introduced weak link and potentially be a long term problem. For those of you who have done re-wires in the past... did you use bullet, spade, solder or weather pack (high dollar stuff) for your connections?

I have used spade connectors to plug into accesories (i.e. toggles/capacitor/pamco/flasher relay/signal stalks/Hughs reg/rec). All splices are soldered. Everything is covered in heat shrink for protection from the elements.

$0.01 for your thoughts.

Thanks

I use weather pack for accessory add-ons when I can, but that's just because I worked in GM dealerships for years, and there's a tendency to unintentionally collect gobs of pins, seals, and connectors in your toolbox. I won't play innocent, I have to admit to conveniently not scooping them out of my toolbox and returning them to the bins when I left. :D

For wet jobs, when used with a little dielectric grease, they're virtually trouble free. There are similar kinds; I think Aerostitch sells a kit assortment. I don't know about high-amperage applications, but a search online could answer that one. For permanent splices, solder and heat-shrink.

Back