Electrical Problem

I think I will do that, the bike runs, but I have not tested the output of the generator. I may start it up here again and test that output.

I also sent a PM to lakeview, not sure where he is located.

So I fired my project up again. I determined that the stator is producing voltage, so I am going to try the "retiredgentlemans" suggestion of piggyback a yellow onto one of the white wires from the stator. Now though, I noticed that the charging system is charging the battery at 13.5 volts, when the bike starts running, but it climbs continually and is at almost 16 volts after about 5 minutes. Anyone have any thoughts as to what is happening? I thought it should remain fairly steady? New battery installed this morning.

Don't let it run for 5 min if the volts start to climb above 14 volts..........If the bike is stationary these bikes should never be run for 5 min, if you do, have a fan directed at the motor.............Regulator is not working..........

Reading back over the thread i'm asking myself is there a problem between the Stator and regulator. With the early model Stator installed by the po, has the wiring been done properly???.............Just thoughts..............

It's just a temporary harness to see if the motor fires up and the stator works. I was left wondering as well if the voltage regulator might be bad.

Go to the Tech section, find a link to an online manual for any year prior to 1980, and read the instructions for cleaning points, adjusting air gaps, and settting output on the regulator. I don't claim to have seen it all, but I have yet to see one of the XS650 breaker point regulators that couldn't be serviced.

So I fired my project up again. I determined that the stator is producing voltage, so I am going to try the "retiredgentlemans" suggestion of piggyback a yellow onto one of the white wires from the stator. Now though, I noticed that the charging system is charging the battery at 13.5 volts, when the bike starts running, but it climbs continually and is at almost 16 volts after about 5 minutes. Anyone have any thoughts as to what is happening? I thought it should remain fairly steady? New battery installed this morning.
Don't run the engine if the battery voltage goes above 14.5 volts. Its bad for the battery and its bad for any light bulbs. Follow Skull's advice to use a fan, if running the engine for long periods.
Do you mean it went from 13.5 to 16 volts with the engine rpm still at 1200?
If so, that suggests to me that the regulator does not have a good ground connection going back to the battery negative terminal. Better have a good check of the wiring.

I will turn on a large fan that I own next time. Yes it was at idle as the voltage started to climb, no light bulbs were connected, as it is just temporary wiring. I was still trying to determine if I could tag that missing yellow wire onto one of the whites from the stator, and just wanted to see if the rectifier and voltage regulator were all working. I am pretty sure that my grounds were all good.

I looked at the tech article on adjusting the regulator, and can check on that another day.

I have to say that the help and advice here on this site is priceless and so appreciated !!!

Once you get your regulator gapped and in tune, switch it out to a vr-115 regulator, and stash away the original stocker. I adjusted my reg on my 71, and it does work well, but its slow to respond. The vr-115 is a true upgrade. Solid state, easy to wire in.

I will turn on a large fan that I own next time. Yes it was at idle as the voltage started to climb, no light bulbs were connected, as it is just temporary wiring. I was still trying to determine if I could tag that missing yellow wire onto one of the whites from the stator, and just wanted to see if the rectifier and voltage regulator were all working. I am pretty sure that my grounds were all good.

I looked at the tech article on adjusting the regulator, and can check on that another day.

I have to say that the help and advice here on this site is priceless and so appreciated !!!
I don't mean to just do a visual check on grounds. Use a VOM on the lowest ohm scale, and measure the resistance from the black lead on the regulator to the battery negative terminal. It should measure less than 1 ohm, which may be just the the meter leads.

I did not do that, but I can.

Retired gentleman, you would not happen to know where in Canada, or Edmonton specifically, that I can buy one of these VR-115 regulators?

I did not do that, but I can.

Retired gentleman, you would not happen to know where in Canada, or Edmonton specifically, that I can buy one of these VR-115 regulators?
No, I can't help you with that. I bought mine using the internet. I havn't looked recently, but they used to be readily available on line.
They work really well!

I do see several options on the internet, and I am keeping the AMC info.....thanks!

I looked at instructions found on this web site on adjusting mechanical voltage regulator. Took mine out to examine, and found that the adjusting screw was turned all the way in as far as it would go. I backed it of a few turns and then fired my latest project back up, (with large oscillating fan), after a few adjustments battery was charging at 13.3 volts, and would go up to 13.7 when revved up a little bit. It did not climb any higher. So I guess that problem solved for now, or until I make final wiring harness, and adjust a little more.

Will be piggybacking my missing yellow from the stator to the safety relay, off of one of the whites from the stator.

I am keeping all info about the solid state regulator.

Thanks to everyone who tried helping me!

Now if only someone could teach me to sew vinyl.

All wiring on my project is now complete and in working order, thanks for all the advice.

Back