Electrical Problem

rsor

Wanna do this again!
Reaction score
I am trying to rebuild a 1976. Started to think about the wiring as the original wiring was just hanging everywhere. I was missing a lot of parts, but assembled, most everything that I need.

I have been studying some 1975/76 B C wiring diagrams, and was making my own drawing and discovered that there are only 5 wires coming from my stator, ( 3 whites, black, and green) joined by the neutral indicator wire, half ways up from the generator unit. There is no yellow wire from that stator, to send to the safety relay. Pretty much all the diagrams that I look at, show a yellow wire coming out of the stator, with the 3 white's, black, and green, for 6 wires in total.

I am assuming that the yellow is power to the safety relay?

Can someone please help me with what to do here? I would like to use the safety relay, as I am maintaining use of the starter button.

That yellow also comes out of the stator bundle before the connector, a bit further back in the harness than where the neutral wire goes in. Maybe someone clipped it off.

I will take another look but I am sure it is not there. There are only the 5 wires, where the bundle of wires entered the stator.

The bundle of 3 whites, green, and black......looks like it may have been damaged by the chain, the previous owner twisted the wires back together and cover them with a big glob of electrical tape.

I have 6 grandkids, I can just see one of them saying what's that button, and hitting the start button while the bike's running.

no biggy but yeah unwind that wad check things out in there. If you have to change it stators are cheap and pretty tough.

I wondered if a person could just ride that yellow on one of the whites. My buddy figured on two whites?

I wonder why this stator only has the five wires? Any pictures I can see close enough, of for sale items, the stator does have six, with the yellow wire?

One thing you could check is the stator housing's marking number.

The 70-71 XS1/XS1B stators had only the 5 wires, did not have the yellow wire, because of no electric starter. The markings on those early stators showed LD115-00 and LD115-01.
71XS1B-AltHousing.jpg

Starting with the '72 XS2, the electric start system included the 'center-tapped' yellow wire. The stator housing number bumped up to LD115-02.
72-Points-Ign.jpeg

After 1972, the LD115-?? numbers continued being bumped up, but I have no detailed info on those later housings...

Last edited:
Once you figure out the wires you could buy a new plug and either use a TC Brothers kit for charging system for your year and I do sell wire harness kits that make it easy to wire up your bike.

Attachments

• 108-0001.jpg
    108-0001.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 87
  • TCB6.jpg
    TCB6.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 54
I have tested stators if you are interested. You've been researching flea bay, name a good price.

It appears as it is indeed an older stator, number on it is LD 115-01 lF, I did look on ebay, trouble with that being in Canada the exchange and shipping is huge.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the retired gentleman's suggestion, of piggybacking a yellow onto one of the whites from the stator, until I can come up with another stator or complete generator unit?

Is there anyone out there, in Canada that might have a stator that they would sell?

Hey rsor, gggGary reached out and made an offer to you, I'd jump at it. You can trust you will get a tested/quality part as opposed to the Kijiji crapshoot. Just my:twocents:.

Well, you can trust you will get a quality part (that's worth a ton to me, I have been burned in the past) and shipping is what it is.

rsor........................if your present stator is working well, i.e. charging your battery at 14 volts, you don't have to spend any money.
Just connect a wire to one of the 3 stator output leads and connect it to the Safety Relay.

Back