electrical questions

xswisconsin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was wondering what battery specs would be the minimal needed to use the starter on an 81. I will be replacing all of the lights with led (stock headlamp). I was looking at the medium true gel from dime city, but was wondering if it would be enought to turn it over and start it with the stock ignition system. Other option would be the antigravity 8 cell although it is alot more expensive (I know I shouldn't be so cheap, but it is hard to break that habit).

On the stock battery it has a rating of about 180-200 cca's. This is about minumum to have the starter work well.
In my Factory books the starter draw is spec'ed at 100 amp with load. On a battery with much lower than stock rating this amp draw can draw down the battery voltage to a point where the TCI will fail to fire the plugs.
On my 75 with the 750 kit, stock size battery, the starter would start the bike ok once it was warmed up. Cold it was iffy. I replaced the battery With as Ballistic 8 cell battery as well as heavier 4 ga cables from the battery to the starter on both the positive and ground side.
It now starts much better. The extra cca's, 275 plus the extra carrying capacity of the heavy cables puts much more power to the starter without drawing the voltage to low to fire the ignition.
Leo

I don't think that you really need a 14ah battery. When I got my '83 it had been sitting for 7 or 8 yrs, to get it running I used the battery from a WR450, a 7ah agm Bike Master. There was much cranking that day and it never even slowed down. I would think that if your bike is in a decent state of tune and the charging system is up to snuff that 7ah is all that is needed.

i have a question, I have wired my 81 up and it runs good, but the battery drains fast. when I turn the key on the reg/rec ground is acting like a pos till I kick start it. what may have I done wrong?:banghead:

Christ, Lets start by saying welcome to the board.
Hard to say, can you post up a diagram of how you wired the bike?
Leo

hello xsleo, thanks. mine has the pick up coil in the stater, so I ran the three w/w the br to a br and then a rd to the ingition, black to black, red to red to the battery

On your 81 it has the TCI so it should have the pickup on the stator. But that is ignition not charging.
On the stator it has three white wire, a green , a brown and a yellow wire. The reg/rec has thre whites, a green , a brown, a red and a black.
To connect the stator to the reg/rec you hook the 3 whites to 3 whites, the green to green, the brown to brown as well as hooking these browns to power after the key switch. The red goes to battery positive, the black to ground.
Recheck your wiring from the stator to the reg/rec is right.
Leo

I have it wired that way, i even switched out with another reg/rec and I still get the pos feed untill I start the bike, it charges the battery but if left on and not running it drains the battery in like two minutes. Should I run the lights to the yellow and try that?

Christ

I am having a similar issue.

I finished wiring my bike yesterday, and hooked up the battery...started right up.

But today I went to start her and the battery was drained to .03....no joke

I have a PMA/PAMCO ignition with just a head lamp horn and estart...should my battery really drain that fast?

No, It sounds like you have issue in the wiring. My first guess is that you have somthing wired so the main switch isn't shutting the power to it off.
Do you have wiring diagram of how you wired it?
Leo

Back