Electrical system component Identification

mrmach5

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
New to the Yamaha scene, disassembling my newly acquired 74 TX650A for clean up, painting, upgrades etc. while diassembling ran into several electrical parts that I could not identify. The Clymer manual is no help what so ever. So thought I would photograph these parts and ask for help identify what they are and function.

#1, and 2 I can identify,
#1 Voltage Regulator
#2 Starter Relay/ Solenoid

#3 Mystery Item , Black rubber rectangular item mounted to Batt. Box.

#4 Right side, Gold box

#5 Last item is bolted to the bottom of the battery box (perfect place to put an electrical component, just below a lead acid battery) Thinking this might be the rectifier but don't know?

Voltage Reg.JPG

starter relay.JPG

black unknown.JPG

right side unknown.JPG

rectifier.JPG

1, and 2, you get a tick.

3, is a light checker. Not on the 74TXA wiring loom diagram, It is on the 75B/76C wiring diagram. My 74TXA has one on the bike.

4, Safety relay.

5, Rectifier.

This thread will help you out.
Note; Because your bike is a points model take note of RG's, (retiredgentalman), posts relating to a replacement, regulator and Rectifier. This is a cheap/reliable replacement for the separate Reg/Rect. Used many times

Some more links for electrical testing/troubleshooting.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10561

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9625

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18925&highlight=musings

Last edited:
Available at biker.net

Attachments

• TX650 Wire Harness1.jpg
    TX650 Wire Harness1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 212
  • TX650 Wire Harness2.jpg
    TX650 Wire Harness2.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 201
One easy way to ID electrical parts is to find a diagram for your bike.
Most of the electrical parts have a certain number and colors of wires, very seldom do two parts have the same number or colors of wires.
Look at the diagram, look for a part with the same number and color wires.
As mentioned by 650Skull some items at the year to year change over can be on one year but not on the diagram, so having the year of yours and the years before and after can help.
Leo

Wow, thanks guys, some great info there. Both the links and the diagrams were very helpful. Think I will plan to go ahead and make the swap out to the AMC Voltage regulator, and fab a Rectifier.
Never heard of a light checker? but I'll put it back.

Any issue with using an AGM battery ton these bikes?

Thanks 5Twins.
Yea, good deal on the rectifier, and no fab work. Any wiring scimatic on using a unit like in the link would be much appreciated.
Thanks again.

Wiring these replacement rectifiers is quite simple. They will have 5 tabs, one marked "+" and another marked "-". If you look at the wiring going to your original, you'll find a red wire, a black wire, and 3 white wires. On the new unit, the red goes to "+", the black to "-", and the 3 whites to the remaining terminals (in no particular order). You can clip the wire and plug off your old unit and use it if you like. That way it will plug right into the harness. You'll just need to add female flat spade crimps to the wires so they'll plug onto the new unit. Here's the one I made up for my bike. The terminals should be labeled somewhere on the side of the unit .....

Rect.jpg

Rect4.jpg

@ 5twins
Your link shows a suppiler in China?
How long does shipping take? Some of the listings seem to have a 5-8 week timeline for the free shipping?
And some have a note about the buyer being responsible for customs/duty taxes what is up with that?
Just ask'n. I'm a virgin, will ordering from overseas hurt???

Back