Electrolysis on Chrome Fender?

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The front fender on the bike I'm refurbishing is in good shape on the outside, but the tire side is seriously rusty.

I've used electrolysis to remove rust on painted and bare steel parts, but never tried it on a chromed part. I don't know what effect the process might have on chrome and don't want to risk ruining a usable fender by being too lazy, but I sure would like to tank that sucker and let Better Living Through Chemistry do all the work for me...:bike:

I had a back fender half way in a water/lye pulling about 8amps for 2 days and seen nothing on the chrome parts. Both ends looked the same after I wiped it down.

if there is rust on the chrome side this is how I get off the rust

Identify all of the rusted accessories and start with the more significantly rusted areas first. Use the fine-grit sandpaper to begin sanding the rusted areas. Work carefully as you do not want to scratch the chrome around the rust.
Dip a piece of aluminum foil, shiny side out, in the cola and then wrap it around your finger. Gently rub the rusty areas with the foil.
Use the chrome polish to buff the area you rubbed with the aluminum foil. The polish will take care of the final surface rust and buff out any other small scratches. Buff the entire area with a cloth and install a few coats of wax to seal the chrome from the elements.

Just pulled my rear stock chrome plated fender off and after removing the black sludge on the underside (via soda blasting), am left with areas of rust....

I may have to use your method, IAC, but I might give electrolysis a whirl today using a sodium carbonate solution and ~10 Amps or so.....

I used a rust converter on the underside of the fender and painted it with epoxy paint. It has been good for three years.

What did it convert the rust to?

Just kidding. Wondering if it was the Eastwood product. I've heard good things on it from car guys.

Back