electronic tacho

XSevive

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi everyone, i want to install a RGV250 speedo and tacho (because i have them) to my 75' points ignition cafe build ,the speedo is a no brainer cause it cable drive but the tach is electronic, not sure where to connect what... anyone done a similar conversion of other jap elec tachos? have read a few posts but none the wiser.,any help would be much appreciated..thx XSesive

Welcome to the forum, XSevive.

On your bike, the only place to attach an electronic tach device is to a coil's grounding side, the line that goes to its points. Either coil, doesn't matter which.

However, the signal from a points type Kettering ignition is different from that of electronic types of ignitions. Well designed contraptions can handle either, others not so. All you can do is try it...

On your bike, the only place to attach an electronic tach device is to a coil's grounding side, the line that goes to its points. Either coil, doesn't matter which.

However, the signal from a points type Kettering ignition is different from that of electronic types of ignitions. Well designed contraptions can handle either, others not so. All you can do is try it...
ok thx , i'll hook it up and see what happens, still a bit to do before first start up ..

hi everyone, i want to install a RGV250 speedo and tacho (because i have them) to my 75' points ignition cafe build ,the speedo is a no brainer cause it cable drive but the tach is electronic, not sure where to connect what... anyone done a similar conversion of other jap elec tachos? have read a few posts but none the wiser.,any help would be much appreciated..thx XSesive
I an not sure, but I do suspect the RGV may have some type of CDI ignition. Later Yamaha 2strokes, RZ, Banshee et.al all do. So the RGV tach may not be directly compatible with a battery/points setup. Aftermarket tachos often have a setting choice between CDI ("positive pulse") or battery points/transistor ignitions ("negative pulse"). Maybe selling the RGV bits, and getting an aftermarket tach makes more sense? After all, the XS has a 7k redline, while the RGV must have 11k or more. A "Daytona Velona" 8k rpm tach both looks good and suits an XS better, IMHO.

Back