elephant foot mod question

Yes, and they're still holding up fine. I've put them in probably about a half dozen motors over the last dozen years or so with no issues yet. I think it's a worthwhile, low cost mod. The screws don't cost any more than original style replacements and shouldn't need replacing all the time like those original type. To me, that makes them a no brainer.

5Twins, I have an '81 xs .040" over, copper head gskt ,EF valve adjusters, cam has been moved for copper gskt , new chain, rubbing blocks. When it's cold valves are quite but as it heats up they start getting louder. I can prolong the quite by babying the throttle but get into it when warmed up they instantly go out.
I've tried setting them cold, warm, zero clearance . Same thing happens. Any direction will be helpful. Thanks! RG

What are you saying? They keep coming out of adjustment or they just start to clatter when run hard? I experimented with clearances when I first installed these. I was hoping that since they run quieter I could go with bigger clearances. Some claim bigger clearances work better and produce more power and performance. Well, I can't say I noticed any performance or power gains but I did find that you can get these adjusters to make noise like loosely set normal ones if you go too big. I ended up going back to nearly stock settings, .004" to .005" on the intakes and .006" to .007" on the exhausts. I wasn't too concerned about opening the exhausts more. I think the stock .006" setting is fine. I was happy to be able to increase the intakes a little though. I couldn't go over .003" with my stock screws or they clattered.

Now that you've mentioned it, I do notice a little more topend clatter after running hard. My best guess is the hard running knocks some of the oil out of the ball/cup joint where the foot attaches to the screw. Also, what oil weight are you using? If 40 wt., that will make more noise than the 50 wt. most of us run.

What are you saying? They keep coming out of adjustment or they just start to clatter when run hard? I experimented with clearances when I first installed these. I was hoping that since they run quieter I could go with bigger clearances. Some claim bigger clearances work better and produce more power and performance. Well, I can't say I noticed any performance or power gains but I did find that you can get these adjusters to make noise like loosely set normal ones if you go too big. I ended up going back to nearly stock settings, .004" to .005" on the intakes and .006" to .007" on the exhausts. I wasn't too concerned about opening the exhausts more. I think the stock .006" setting is fine. I was happy to be able to increase the intakes a little though. I couldn't go over .003" with my stock screws or they clattered.

Now that you've mentioned it, I do notice a little more topend clatter after running hard. My best guess is the hard running knocks some of the oil out of the ball/cup joint where the foot attaches to the screw. Also, what oil weight are you using? If 40 wt., that will make more noise than the 50 wt. most of us run.
No, They come out of adjustment. Could the rockers be bending or moving where they are relieved? Or maybe I've misunderstood the instructions on how to do this. I haven't messed with this bike for a while. Too many other bikes in my tiny garage. But I'm determined to get it right.

I’ve only got 1000 miles or so on my new E-F adjusters but I haven’t found that they go out of adjustment. I have looked at the rocker arms and I cannot imagine how they could bend nor can I see how the all-steel feet or pivots could compress. Even if the oil film broke down, it would only be a few thousands of an inch thick - which wouldn’t likely be enough to cause a lot of extra noise. The valve actuation forces just aren’t that high.

I did notice a little extra noise after a freeway blast - but it went away when I started behaving myself.

I do have a question: which brand of E-F adjusters are you using?

As I understand it, some of the MikesXS units have plastic pivots - and for them, all bets are off. I can certainly imagine those adjusters going out of spec as the plastic deforms. I installed Porsche/VW adjusters from Air-Cooled Specialities and these are all metal.

I did buy the plastic cap ones but threw them in the trash . I have the Air-cooled Specialities ones. I'll be back on the XS if I ever get this Triumph off my bench.

Back