elephantfoot mod/comp rel

wood-z

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
many thanks to all contributors to this site,been reading tons for quite awhile and i've learned just enuf to be dangerous.lol!
80 sg xsjohns needles and airbox mod,dimpled 1 piece pushrod/ bushing/seal ,mikesxs oil filter cooler,fork kit,2nd f disc/ caliper kits ss brake lines,hhb pma,pamco,but now i'm thinking internals;
277 rephase
oil cooler/xsjohns intake oilers
750 big fin kit
valve upgrade?
elephantfoot adjusters
compression release
high ratio primary gears,mikes 5th,17/36 sprockets
hhb 8 plate clutch mod
cam chain guide
hydraulic cam chain tensioner from twins inn (anybody know how to contact him?i've failed.vernon, are you out there?)
this is not a complete list,still haven't worked thru it all
i'm not a builder,and have some questions please...
any conflicts ?
i've read here-somewhere-about comp rel needing older style rocker w/tab-do you have to use all 4? what about rocker cover and matching the head?any probs w/efoot mod on this?
i'm liking the big fin idea for cooling but have read hoos may be better?

just trying to plan this out properly-though "a plan is great till you get hit in the mouth-then it's out the window"
i can already tell it's gonna be spendy and wanted to get your opinions.
oh,and try not to laff too hard!

Don't need the compression release with a 277 rephrased 750 kit from mikes the electric starter will suffice. Mikes elephant foot adjusters are a wast of time, the plastic comes off, there is some info on that here somewhere and If you get the high ratio primary gears you won't need the 5th gear overdrive

link; Valve adjusters

Volkswagon makes a elephant foot adjuster that works great. You have to cut it off as it is to long and modify the stock rocker. Got this info from Daryl Hutcheon in Australia. I use them in my 270 re-phase and they are easy to work with. One more thing valve train related. Mr. Riggs re-phased camshaft is the only way to go. Mine has been bullet proof. If you want that part # for the adjuster I'll look through my stuff and find it. Forget the compression release. More trouble than it's worth. I've disconnected a lot of cables per Yamaha Service in the early 70's.

Last edited:
+1 on the mrrigs cam.

wood-z, If money is not a problem i would look at the adjustable sprocket HERE to go with the cam

Last edited:
Mine is a daily driver and don't need it. For the serious power seeker it looks like a very nice setup.

I think the reason they advertise as "For serious performance people' is the ease with which it can be altered, No pressing the sprocket on and off and having to take the cam out every time to do that. These would be good for ease of dialing in the new cam on the rephrase as well as any set up, standard or upgraded

Don't need the compression release with a 277 rephrased 750 kit from mikes the electric starter will suffice. Mikes elephant foot adjusters are a wast of time, the plastic comes off, there is some info on that here somewhere and If you get the high ratio primary gears you won't need the 5th gear overdrive

link; Valve adjusters

I thought the comp rel might might be overkill. was thinking it would help save the e-start.probably easier to have a spare e-start or kick it if it wears out.thnx

Volkswagon makes a elephant foot adjuster that works great. You have to cut it off as it is to long and modify the stock rocker. Got this info from Daryl Hutcheon in Australia. I use them in my 270 re-phase and they are easy to work with. One more thing valve train related. Mr. Riggs re-phased camshaft is the only way to go. Mine has been bullet proof. If you want that part # for the adjuster I'll look through my stuff and find it. Forget the compression release. More trouble than it's worth. I've disconnected a lot of cables per Yamaha Service in the early 70's.

forgot to list mriggs. definately!
i'd love that part #my translator has no effect on his website.how'd you do-dat?
thnx for your input!

I think the reason they advertise as "For serious performance people' is the ease with which it can be altered, No pressing the sprocket on and off and having to take the cam out every time to do that. These would be good for ease of dialing in the new cam on the rephrase as well as any set up, standard or upgraded

again w/ the thnx,sounds like the only way to go...

CB Performance has the adjusters. Google them with part# 1518. That will be for a set of 8 so you got 4 to fubar first. I think the Porsche/VW # is 90110537002. You're gonna have to grind 4 MM off the underside of each rocker closest to the valve stem for clearance and cut adjusters to length. If you're not sure about this stuff don't get in to deep.

Easy to do once you see it all together.

Attachments

• DSC01510.jpg
    DSC01510.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 218
CB Performance has the adjusters. Google them with part# 1518. That will be for a set of 8 so you got 4 to fubar first. I think the Porsche/VW # is 90110537002. You're gonna have to grind 4 MM off the underside of each rocker closest to the valve stem for clearance and cut adjusters to length. If you're not sure about this stuff don't get in to deep.

already ordered from cb-this one i think i can manage . i've seen various photos and threads for specs and directions,and i'll be having an experienced
tech look over my shoulder.love the idea of these adjusters w/xsjohn intake oiler/cooler mod.thnx for responding...

Easy to do once you see it all together.

oh,you had to say it. thats like giving me directions to your house and telling me;
"you can't miss it!" lol. i do wish i didn't have to pull the motor for this one.
prefer to move the rock once-could be significant down time with all the "little things "
that should be done while its out.knock wood...i'll try to take pics of these as i go,i've been lax on contributions.thanx for playing!

Truely, these motors are pretty straighforward and if you don't let it intimidate you, just stand back and give it all a good look, the answers will come to you. Use the Force, Luke.... I do recommend waiting until AFTER the rocker arm grinding before you pop out the beer though.

Indeed, lol. The rocker will get hot while grinding and need to be dipped in something to cool it. I suppose you could use beer for that although I just used water.

I too use a Mr. Riggs rephased cam and it has been excellent! Even better, the tech assistance he provides is absolutely brilliant.

Truely, these motors are pretty straighforward and if you don't let it intimidate you, just stand back and give it all a good look, the answers will come to you. Use the Force, Luke.... I do recommend waiting until AFTER the rocker arm grinding before you pop out the beer though.

thanxs for the encouragment.i feel an informed plan reduces mistakes,and i do have some mechanical help-he just isn't as specifically familiar w/xs's and these projects in particular...hence asking you guys who've done it before-helps me avoid ignorant goofs.less :banghead:and :doh:more:bike:

Indeed, lol. The rocker will get hot while grinding and need to be dipped in something to cool it. I suppose you could use beer for that although I just used water.

i've read a coupla threads on this-i treat this info like instructions,when i'm over my head,i'm not too proud to ask for help or farm out the work.i just want it to be right...
and thanxs for the heads up.

it's been recommended that i skip the comp rel, do you think it's a problem if i use the older rockers w/ the tab(or one only for that matter)so i could add that c r later if i change my mind w/out tearing into the top end?

I too use a Mr. Riggs rephased cam and it has been excellent! Even better, the tech assistance he provides is absolutely brilliant.

yessir! my opinions have been based on info from this site and mriggs/hugh/xsjohn and so many others are top rate as far as i can tell.i'd love to throw a bbq for everybody here one day.alas the logistics of that are more daunting than a build.we'll see....an xs festival!!:bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike:

Back