Elswick

There are tons of picsof my bike in my build thread. I think its still on page one in the builds folder..

i ordered an elswick tail section and got it in 2 days. Robert was a great guy to deal with, granted it was before his move.

Update-

Well I ordered my tail on May 26th and was given a guaranteed ship date of July 6th.

Email from Robert:
Hey Brad,
Thanks for placing the order. I saved a copy of the picture with your order, we'll make the tubes come in just like that hardtail. I have the order recorded as a +1" stretch and 5" ride height with a ship date no later than July 6. You're correct about the ride height, 5" is the most common.
Thanks Again,
Robert

It's now the 11th, I've called Robert every day at least once, except on the weekend, left two polite messages and haven't heard back. I guess there's usually no one in the office and maybe the reason my first couple of calls were answered is bc he just happened to be in there at the right time. Idk..

I'm not really concerned yet, it's only abt a week overdue but I would like an update or some kind of idea on how things are coming.

You can rush things to get them done on time and have it end up looking like shit, then you're probably gonna have to make repairs which usually end up taking longer than just taking the time to do it right the first time, at least that's what I tell my boss at work. Haha.

It would be nice since the order is now late to not have to pay shipping or maybe pay half, honestly though if he'd just let me know whats going on I probably wouldn't say anything abt it.

I recently installed the hardtail section that General Lee ordered and waited months for, It was junk in my opinion. So now ive done all three of the popular 650 hardtails Elswick, TC and David Bird.Even after being welded fully the Elswick still didn't seem very sturdy and personally i wouldn't want one on my bike., plus they take 6 months to get. If you want a good Pre-made unit get a David Bird and dont look back.

I recently installed the hardtail section that General Lee ordered and waited months for, It was junk in my opinion. So now ive done all three of the popular 650 hardtails Elswick, TC and David Bird.Even after being welded fully the Elswick still didn't seem very sturdy and personally i wouldn't want one on my bike., plus they take 6 months to get. If you want a good Pre-made unit get a David Bird and dont look back.

So where do the TC fit in your ratings???

I dont like the way the david bird ones look.. I dont like how it uses the stock chain tensioners, I dont like how he uses a gusset on the top tubes, and I hate how he attaches to the existing frame rails on the bottom.

My elswick took just over a month to get(it was 2 weeks later then he originally said), and it mounted great, the fab shop that I had weld it on was very impressed with the quality of work and the price.. I have been riding it for about a month, everything is great, feels plenty sturdy to me.

If your so displeased with everyone elses work then just build your own...

Got an email today from Robert, he apologized for being a little behind and said the tail would be in the mail as soon as shipping was paid. Not too bad I guess compared to the other stories I've heard. I paid for shipping so hopefully the tail will be shipped tomorrow. I'll post pics when it arrives.

So where do the TC fit in your ratings???

They aren't too bad, but im looking at it from a welder/fabricators POV. The area where the upper part of the tail section meets the frame just kinda butts up against the stock part of the frame leaving a large gap that must be welded up; whereas the Bird section has a great notch that wraps around the frame and fits up very good. Again, all this is just my opinion.

yeah the Bird is great stuff but the gusset things around the frame are ugly. I don't think anyone here can look at the Bird hardtail section and not say that is just ugly. I looked long and hard at all the different tails out there and selected tanks by tigman. i should see it in about two to three weeks. On the 22nd of this month will have been a month since a ordered it he stated 3 to 4 weeks and he would have it done.I'll let everyone know about his service and take pics. Ill also review ease to install (gap issues or anyother factors)

How big are the gaps you speak of Sommers? I'm a welder and a gap is a good thing so you can get full penetration on the weld. Are we talkin 1/8" or something bigger like 1/4" or more?

When I first put my eyes on the elswick tail I was surprised to see how the small the tubing was. I think the 1" 1/8" tubing is the way to go. Which is what the TC brahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh tail has. So that is at this point the only thing they have going for them. The elswick tail welds were nice looking (didn't really matter to me). I never got to see the bird tail, so I can't comment.

How big are the gaps you speak of Sommers? I'm a welder and a gap is a good thing so you can get full penetration on the weld. Are we talkin 1/8" or something bigger like 1/4" or more?

1/4 plus, Which does not go to well with the TIG process. That gap is the same on the TC and Elswick.

I tacked my Elswick tail on and it has pretty good gaps on the top tubes. Going to re work it so it fits better before final welding.

So you have to do a little fitting/grinding before you can tack..
C'mon dude, I think you'd want to touch it up so it's coped nicely to the frame before welding. Filling up a 1/4" gap is no fun w tig, 1/8 gap will shrink up just a touch after tacking, then your 1/8" rod will sit nicely in the gap and not fall through. Good fit-up = good weld.:thumbsup:

Ya I totally rushed it.

facepalm.jpg

She's here!
Got my hardtail in the mail thursday July 31st, seven weeks after I placed my order, one week overdue, but Robert did a decentish job staying in touch via email so I'm pretty pleased. I went w/ a 1" stretch and a 4" ride height, stock width(8 1/2" inside to inside on the axle plates) Here's some pics:
mybike13.jpg

mybike12.jpg

mybike14.jpg

mybike15.jpg

Upper tubes might be coped to fit but barely, when I start fitting the tail to the frame I'll really be able to tell. I tried to get a shot to show this but it was tough to get the idea w pics, you kinda have to be in front of the actual tail to really get the idea, anyway here's the pic:

mybike16.jpg

Just finished my engine stand yesterday and lugged my motor up the 16 steps and into my spare room so I can teardown. Fuck, not easy by yourself..

mybike17.jpg

mybike18.jpg

Finished my frame jig today so I'm pretty much ready to hardtail now.

mybike19.jpg

mybike20.jpg

:thumbsup:

Back