Embarrassing Petcock Question..

KendallT

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Would someone please confirm that I have the fuel turned off and not on reserve? I am starting to 2nd guess myself... but I i think I may have to rebuild this petcock valve. I've got a small gas leak and can't seem to get the gas to shut off completely.

Thanks in advance,
Kendall

Attachments

• petcock.jpg
    petcock.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 210
It looks like it's in the off position to me. I don't know where your fuel is leaking from, but if you pull the fuel line off the petcock in the off position and it still drips, the petcock gasket needs some attention.

Philip

Yes, on that petcock, the short end of the arm points to the label of the position you're in. If the "On" label was at the bottom on the face plate, the long end of the arm would be the indicator.

There is a rubber disc, usually with 4 holes in it, under the face plate and arm. This is what the arm seals and turns against. It can get worn and sometimes torn up from the arm turning against it. Sometimes you can just flip it over and cure the leak. The back side is "fresh" and hasn't been subjected to the arm rotating against it. It also helps to smooth the back face of the arm, the area that turns against the rubber disc, by working it against some 400 or 600 paper on a flat surface like a piece of glass. Also check the edges of the holes in the arm plate. If they're sharp, they can tear up the rubber disc as you turn the arm. Round any sharp hole edges off with a small sharp pocket knife.

Back