1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

engine and frame id

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by devildrums, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:46 PM.

1. devildrums

devildrums XS650 Enthusiast

I purchased a 77 xs650D and have been trying to confirm the id numbers. I've gotten an answer for the number on the neck but still can't find the right engine chart. The number I saw was 46110. If that is wrong, please advise me.
    Thanks,
    James

2. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

3. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

if the numbers don't match, the engine's been swapped.

4. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

If the engine is in the frame it may be hard to see the complete number. You might remove the front engine mount to get a better look at the number.
    Leo

5. devildrums

gggGary likes this.
  6. 650Skull

7. devildrums

Yes, everything checked out.

8. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

On the XS650 the engine cases are machined as a set and marked with matching numbers. The Head and rocker box are done this way too. The number you found Is the number for the head and rocker box.
    Do your frame and engine numbers match?
    Leo

9. devildrums

Not exactly, but close. Frame is 447-723444 and Engine is 447-723644. I assumed the difference in the last 3 was just location on the bike. If not,
    please clarify.
    James

10. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Enthusiast

FL
    Those numbers should match. The fact that they’re so close maybe that during assembly they saw something they didn’t like and grabbed another one. Broke something? Maybe?

11. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Respectfully, while it is nice to have matching numbers, it may well be on the lower end of importance for a subsequent buyer, especially for the 76 and up, since they were built in such large numbers.

12. 650Skull

I would be looking for some reason those no's weren't the same.......In my chart the US 77D sold 23,940 for that model. 447-700101 to 447-724061.....Your number is very high in the production ID number.......Could you post the manufacturing date .....having that close a number and with just the one digit out of place seems just to much of a coincidence......

As lakeview says it's not a big deal.............I'm a collector of ID no's, for confirmation and to add to the ID chart

13. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Enthusiast

FL
    That is weird. It’s a matching motor. The Jap spun the wheel too far. LOL

14. devildrums

Agree. Not really overly important, just my first bike and I was curious.

15. devildrums

Where do I find the manufacturing date?

16. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

It will show on the white VIN sticker on the neck if yours still has one.

17. devildrums

It says 4/77, which is kind of cool as my birthday is in April. And upon further review (with glasses on) the frame and engine numbers do match.

Attached Files:

lakeview likes this.
  18. 650Skull

Cheers devildrums..........funny how those pieces of glass make life clearer.........