Engine Breather Question

kayakcullen

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello there, new to the scene. Just bought my first 82 xs650. Started replacing some of the parts and had a question. I just ripped the air boxes off and replaced them with K&N air filters. Is it going to hurt anything if I just leave the breather tube hanging, not hooked to anything?

Won't hurt short term, but you may get a little more dirt in the engine without some type of filter.

I did a lot of searching for that same answer and what I ended up getting were some PCV valves from the local auto parts store. I just plugged them into the ends of the breather hoses and that was that. Here's what they look like:

Pcv_valve_1.jpg

Its a one-way valve which allows the crankcase to vent but not take in air.

-jonathan

With a one way valve, wont that create pressure of some kind? if so, what are the long term effects of that? On top of being new to these bikes and forum. I am also still learning how to work on bikes and motors.

The pcv valve allows the motor to push gasses out, thus relieving, not building pressure. From all of those breather posts I read, the one-way valve was what I concluded to be the recommended solution.

-jonathan

I have a check valve installed on mine also. BE VERY CAREFUL (this is super simple...but) not to crimp or fold over the tube attached to the vent, or the check valve, and run the engine. It will build pressure, and you will find your weakest seal/gasket......:eek:

Thanks for all the info guys. this helped alot. Just a quick random quistion, I have an 82 xs650 heritage special,10000 miles on it. Are these bikes generally ok to go 70 and 80 for long periods of time?

Ya. I actually bought, if I remember right, a 30 tooth sprocket. I just havent put it on yet. When I first bought this bike the tach didnt work and the guy I bought from never ridden it. He said he bought it in 88 and only put 5,000 miles on it. when I first got on it, it sounded pretty ruff, but its all smoothed out now.

Back