Engine build

Samuraitenor

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Anyone in the DC Maryland Virginia area looking to tinker on an xs?

I have a 1980 that I'd like to get into but honestly don't want to do it alone. If someone has done it before I have a garage to work and can provide beer for exchange of knowledge . I'd def like to be the guy wrenching

Dude, I have NEVER in my life done anything mechanical apart from my rc trucks and heli's. This scared the crap out of me! I started with the carbs, just strip them,check all the floats are where they should be, clean all the channels, put them back together again. Easy.

This gave me confidence to do the engine. Mine was in bits already, so it was even harder as I didn't know what goes where! Just do my thread in reverse and then rebuild, easy enough.

Take your time, ask questions, do some searching, these monsters are a piece of piss to work on. It took me two weeks to do my engine, and it WORKS!!

If I can do it, anyone can!!

Dooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttt(Arnie accent!)

I may have to hit you up a good bit.

I'm pretty good at taking stuff apart and putting it back. She runs right now just gotta fix some leaks at the starter seal area. If I got her somewhat stripped infigure I might as well get down and dirty lol

If it runs and just leaks around the starter, that's a fix without tearing anything down. Leaking under the front sprocket where the starter gears are? Just letting you know, if you wanna tear it down by all means....have you tested compression yet?

I'm pretty sure you can switch to a one piece pushrod and replace seal without tearing down but I'm not positive. Someone who knows for sure will chime in...

You can replace it without tearing down motor but its good to take off sprocket to have room. If you want a complete motor rebuild I do them Top to bottom rebuilds with new bore pistons gaskets seals cam guides vale springs and vale seals. I am in New Jersey and have built over 25 XS650 and more than 100 motors of all kinds.
BUT it is a good experience to try and do it yourself if you have access to the tools.:thumbsup:

Back