Engine Clatter ??????

Dusty

Dusty
Reaction score
I am hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I have loud constant clatter at certain rpm's. If I put the bike under load it goes away. It sounds like chain clatter, but I can't find any spots where the chain might be hitting. My last XS650 did the same thing to the point where I changed the motor, and that motor did it as well.
I am running a 18 tooth sprocket, and have done that on all my bikes. I checked my timing, and my valve adj., all is good. Could this be clutch noise ? The bike runs great, and rides great, I just can't find the noise. Sometimes it will clatter when I hit a bump in the road. HELP !!!!

Have you checked the cam chain adjustment? If too loose it will clatter.

- when checking timing and valve adj, set the cam chain first

- cam chain then valves then timing then carbs

Depending on what year you have... It could be the rod that goes throught the camshaft to the advance mechanism... Since it started heating up this summer mine is making noise again. I swear i grease that thing at least 3 times a season.

I dont know if its as much of a 'clatter' as it is a 'squeak'... But i hear it the most decelerating in gear.

Watch out for other things rattling on the bike that might make you think its the motor.... My gas cap rattle like a mofo for a while...

I did not adj the cam chain. Will try that sat. morning. I converted this engine to points because I had all the parts for that set up. How much greese does one use on the points shaft ?

If it clatters when hitting bumps it is likely that something is moving outside of the engine. Took me many miles once to realise that a fast tapping noise was caused by my rear number plate vibrating at certain engine revs, even though tightly mounted!

Well I adj the cam chain, and checked valves and points. I put a 17 tooth sprocket on, and it still clatters. It does it at 45 mph in 4th, and 55-60 in 5th. I lubed the advance unit. The noise sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine, or right front. On my last bike, I always thought it was the chain hitting the fake oil tank. If I can't find it, I'll have to run it 'till it breaks, then I'll know. I checked the gas cap and the tail light bracket, I don't think the chain is slapping the chain guard.

- a couple of things that will make horrendous noises
...e-start gear on starting when the clip is worn or broken-not your described problem
...had a mate who reckoned his e-start gear would ratchet against the clutch primary gear when riding sometimes due to the return spring being broken-not experienced this myself
...worn or badly adjusted cam chain-look for alu filings in your sump and filter
...worn front cam chain guide-look for black plastic shit and alu filings in your sump and filter
...broken springs in the primary gear attached to the rear of your clutch body-look for metal pieces in your sump

- this list is not definitive and may have nothing to do with your problem :D :bike:

Sounds like the inner pipe on yer exhaust broke loose, when you put a load to it wont vibrate as much but will bang around on bumps. Try kicking the pipe when the bike is off and see if you hear anything. You are useing stock headers? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Boy is my face red. I started taking things off the bike, and looking for chain marks. Way up under the chain guard, chain marks. I rode it without the guard, and no noise. It had to be something stupid like this because it did it on all my bikes, with every engine. No one else ever talked about it, so I kinda figured it was something I was doing. I'll go for a long ride later to see if it's all good. Thanks for all the help.

Don't worry about it. The main thing is that it is fixed and for free. You can pass that on to less experienced members. We all learned from you. :shrug::bike::thumbsup:

Back