Engine Cleaner

Kmunshower

"Suck it"
Reaction score
Guys, Can anyone point me in the right direction with a engine cleaner. This years winter project was to build the bike... Next years winter project will be to rebuild the engine. I think the bike is coming along nicely however I need to get this engine cleaned up to match what I think will be a nice bike.
Any suggestions on a engine degreaser/ paint remover / cleaner that works really well??

Keith:bike:

Attachments

• XS650 build.JPG
    XS650 build.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 240
  • XS650 Engin 3.jpg
    XS650 Engin 3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 215
  • XS650 Engin2.jpg
    XS650 Engin2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 215
  • XS650 Engin.jpg
    XS650 Engin.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 227
Well if you want to pay to have it done you will need to disassemble it. If you went that route you could get bead blasting or even aqua blasting. But that you will $$$ threw the nose.

If your a DIY type of guy, and don't want to disassemble the motor, i would seriously look into Soda Blasting. You can get a unit from Harbor Freight for on the cheap, well relative to the cost of the other options. All you really need is a decent air compressor. There is a ton of information about the idiosyncrasies of soda blasting on this forum, just put it in the search box. I used it on one my engines and it turned out great.

If not borrow a steam cleaner/ pressure washer, and hose her down with some degreaser. No where even close to a soda blast but cleans it up. I just did that to the one i am working on, but its a gravel /dirt bike and i am not looking for a show quality motor, so it fit the bill over soda blasting. I also used a pressure steamer i use to clean off tractors on the farm so it was a "serious business" type of one. I could send you pictures i suppose if you really wanted.

I have always used Gunk to get the usual road crap and oil, grease etc off. Just work it in with a stiff brush, rinse and repeat until nice and clean. You can then ascertain what you have to do re surface finish, for example, blasting or just titivate up.
I have never been a fan of high pressure cleaners. They have a tendency of putting water where it shouldn't go and damging seal, bearings ec by removing grease.

I guess I am old school, paint thinner about $6 a gallon, paint brushes, gun cleaning brushes and a cookie sheet, bus tub or other big pan underneath. scrub a dub dub dub.

Take the thing apart if you want to do it right. If you're building a nice bike, it deserves a nice engine. Not only clean, but fresh oil seals / gaskets to ensure a leak-free engine.

XS650 engines are relatively simple to take apart and reassemble (I'm heading into my garage to disassemble one today).

You'll learn a lot doing it. Have the cases/cylinders/head/rocker cover bead or soda blasted - will run you $60-$80 or so most likely. If you can swing vapor-blasting, it's the best IMHO. There are few shops that do it, but there is one in the US that does it for a reasonable price. Just need to ship your stuff there. I'd do that personally, but being in Canada the shipping is too expensive to justify. Nobody up here doing vapor blasting.

I have always love castrol auper clean also, i havent found anything better... It is very powerfull and can etch polished aluminum if you leave it on to long tho, as for paint remover i like the green aircraft stripper burns the skin but bubbles paint and powdercoat in no time

I have always love castrol auper clean also, i havent found anything better... It is very powerfull and can etch polished aluminum if you leave it on to long tho, as for paint remover i like the green aircraft stripper burns the skin but bubbles paint and powdercoat in no time

ya....If you do use Castrol Super Clean...WEAR GLOVES!!! That shit is CRAZY!

Here is where I am at this point with the engine. I have a few more things to do, (gaskets/o-rings/bolts) then I will be putting it back in the frame if it comes back from the painter this week.

Back