Engine heat

tbone1980

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does the top end of the engine get really hot normally? I just finished a rebuild and have started the bike a few times and tonight I let it run for a couple of minutes at a time. I think that I am just paranoid! What is a good way of knowing if the top end is getting oil? I took one of the tappet covers off and took a look and there is oil in there.

If it's like a car you would be able to see oil spraying when it's running with a cover off.

Hmm maybe I will try that. Just nervous I think. As to the heat question these things do get too hot to touch after running for a few minutes right? The top end I am talking about, like around the tappet covers.

Yes, these engines get hot after a few minutes, the same as any air cooled engine. They are designed to have air flow across the engine cooling fins. If idling the engine for longer than a few minutes, its a good thing to use a large fan to blow across the engine.

Harbor freight sell a non contact thermometer. Item #93984 they have one a bit cheaper but it won't read high enough. $24.99
Head temp about 290 is ok. Over 300 is a bit warm. With an oil cooler plumbed into the rightside cover temps are about 240.

Back