starter gearcover problem

timbeck

HARDLY A GURU
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
No good deed goes unpunished, and so it goes.....Just finished a top end rebuild , installed the engine and discovered an oil leak. Best I could determine it was the starter gear cover. I did not mess with it when doing the top end. I took the cover off and foolishly removed the two syamised gears. After cleaning up the gasket surfaces I can not replace the two gears far enough on the shaft to engage the gear going into the engine. Is there a trick ?? Or am I in big trouble.........

Not much of a trick but you're not in trouble. It's pretty much impossible to have something "get out of place" that can't be put back correctly.

1659289742150.png

1659290189342.png

Use caution on the top bolt, that also holds the shift shaft guard. It's a bit short on threads and can strip out of the case. IIRC if needed you can go 5mm longer, run a tap into the case for a bit more thread.

Well I got the gear and cover back together with a new gasket and some Hylomar, but still have a drip. As far as I can tell now it is coming from the 1 1/2 inch open slot on the bottom case that the lower engine bolt goes thru. I need to lean the bike over and look further....and so it goes.....

Hmmm. To find an oil leak, sometimes ya have to clean everything dry and then dust everything with talcum powder. The oil likes to travel and it will leave a trail in the powder film - like a snail on a dry sidewalk.

I guess I will have to dust it up like a babies butt. No history on the engine, 12 years in a garage, anything is possible.....

tim

Back