Engine "kicks" a bit when put into gear. Normal?

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I set my clutch cable and mechanism to what the manual says (Mechanism turned in til it starts to bottom, then back a quarter turn, cable free play normal) and when I take it from neutral to first, here's what happens: I pull in the clutch, then push the shifter and the bike, as it goes into first, kinda bucks a little. It's still not engaged as I keep the clutch pulled in and when I release the clutch it functions normally as I roll on the throttle. Does anyone else experience this? Maybe I'm just being finicky but I can't see how it'd be good for the gears. But maybe it's normal operation. Let me know if anyone knows what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Dave

Mine does same and sometimes will grind if I am gliding to a light in neutral and have to up shift to second? Normal? I guess so for an 80. You should drive the ole Vw baja. Now she is fun

You may need a bit more adjustment on the clutch at the worm gear, sounds like it's only partially disengaging.

My idle is at 1500 or so. When I adjust it at the worm gear, I did it backed in and then backed out 1/4 turn as per the manual. Should I back it out more or push it in more?

mine does it too. I have to give a bit o gas or it dies, but acts fine warmed up. Does it do it when the bike is warmed up?

When you turn the screw in, it sometimes is tough to feel just when first resistance occurs. Spin the screw in/out a few times to get a good feel for just the resistance of the screw. Once you get a good feeel of the screw, turn it in to find the point of first resistance.
Once you find this point back the screw off about 1/8 turn.
You should do this with the adjuster at the lever very loose. Once you get the wrom screw set, then adjust the cable for about 1/8 inch free play.
Even with a properly working clutch there is often enougfh drag to clunk a bit as you put the tranny in gear.
Try setting your idle speed a bit lower, I adjust for around 1300 to 1400 rpms.
Leo

You might try back an eighth. Then see if you get clutch slip at 3-5K rpm in 5th.
But you can't eliminate the clunk completely.
Haven't you watched the HD riders? You are supposed to stomp it into gear.
The bigger the clunk the bigger the ......

Back