Engine Mockup

dklassen

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Finally starting to piece together my chopper project. Little by little I might add. I have the motor (1979). I don't think it needs any internal work at least yet, but one never knows. I'd like to build a test stand and get it fired up. I'm not too bad mechanically but I must confess ignition / electronics are not one of my strong points.

Can someone clue me in on the basics for getting this baby fired up?

I need to do a complete mockup of the electronics and really don't know all I need to purchase. I'll have to source it from ebay or somewhere.

Thanks!

picture.php

Well you might as well pull the covers off the motor and see what you're working with. See what is under each cam cover as well as behind the alternator cover. You never know what someone might have swapped out. Then figure out what charging system and ignition system you want to run and buy what you don't have. You might just need coils, a battery, and a rectifier/regulator if you have points and want to keep them.

A 79 should have points. From looking at the pic, I would say the points are still in there. I can see the wires hanging out.
Once you get it in a stand, you will need two points type coils, a set of condensers, a switch and a battery.
Start by making a bracket to bolt on where the top motor mount goes. This bracket will hold your coils condensers and switch.
To wire it run a hot wire from a battery positive to the switch. From the switch to the coils. One coil to each set of points and condenser.
The battery negative to any bolt on the engine for ground.
This should get the engine to run. You will need to kick start it, so have your stand very secure.
Before you try starting it, set the cam chain tension, adjust the valves. Check the points adjustment and timing. Do these checks in this order If you set the valves or timing before the cam chain or points adjustment it will throw the other adjustments out.
Once you hear it run, then you can get the charging system parts together and hooked up and see if you can get it to charge.
Once you get it that far then you can put it in a frame. And if you have got the charging system and ignition working out of a frame it should be easy to get them to work in a frame.
Once you get all that in and working adding the lights and stuff is simple.

Yes I did the deed. I now have 11 XSs. Some running, some close, others in pieces. I wanted to build one with my spare time and got carried away. I am close to finishing the first one as planned. Next comes the Dunstall road racer. I will put together a few vids on the engine stands, motor run up stand and some wiring tips I used in the near future. I am in final finish mode and it is taking more time to prep and do the paint work then I figured, like everything else...

Back