Engine Pulled how to support it?

52Chevy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just finished pulling the motor. I cannot keep it balanced enough to work on it.

What have you guys done to keep the motor standing straight up to work on the top end??

Much appreciated,
Dave

There are some vendors that make engine stands specific to the XS650 engine. There are also some plans around in the forum. Search for engine stand and I'm sure you'll turn up some good ideas.

Kent

That was my initial plan, but I also need to be able to break torque and what not so I am buildings something with some lateral support as well.

A small fold-able chair, soft seat preferably. Seat cushion and such will be thrashed of course, but it makes for a nice portable stand..

Used that to clean/Blast engine and remove top end. Once top end was off, used a flipped over standard milk carton, from behind a grocery store, for everything lower case. In terms of flipping the case over, the cylinder studs go through the carton holes as it supports the block upside down.

I was gonna make a stand but... seems like a project in itself for this one XS build.

I had it sitting on a jack for a while wasn't straight up and down but it was better than flat on the floor.
I like the your ideas though, thank you!

Here's the plans for the basic stand most of us make. Just make the uprights 1" longer so the motor fits better w/ the starter still on it .....

http://www.650motorcycles.com/XSstand.html

EngineStand2.jpg

I unfortunately f don't have welding capabilities (something I would love to learn though!) I'm working on something out of 2x4's and the factory mounting bolts.

Or the chair idea.

I just pulled mine and used a block of wood 1x2ish under the front and the kept it pretty balanced. Needed someone to hold the engine on some of the bolts and what not but it work out pretty good over all. For reassembly ect I am having a buddie teach me to weld and making a stand.

IMAG0152.jpg

I cut and drilled a few chunks of angle iron from the scrap bin so it would bolt to an automotive engine stand.

blownmo03.jpg

blownmo02.jpg

This puts it at a decent working height, you can roll it around the garage, and you can turn it so whatever side you're working on is straight up.

I just pulled mine and used a block of wood 1x2ish under the front and the kept it pretty balanced. Needed someone to hold the engine on some of the bolts and what not but it work out pretty good over all. For reassembly ect I am having a buddie teach me to weld and making a stand.

IMAG0152.jpg

That's exactly what I ended up doing

That's what I use. I have one that a freight truck left behind at the shop and it sits perfectly in it. It also helps that I can roll it outside to clean the motor.

As of right now I only have the front of the motor supported and that caused me some trouble trying to break tourque on a few nuts holding the top end together. I got out the impact wrench for that in the end.

But being mobile would be great I'm in the back corner of the garage right now on the ground and I can't really get to the one side all that well. If the damn thing weren't so heavy I might be able to put it on my workbench. (Not sure how much weight it will actually hold).

Back