Engine question. Is this right?

Luckydog

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I changed my clutch tonight and as I was about to put my cover back on I noticed a spring that looked like it was out of it's retainer. It looked similar to the kickstarter spring and how the kickstarter spring sits into the slots but this spring is up front on the gears. I've attached a pic showing the rounded spring clip and how it is next to to an area (to the left) that looks as if the spring clip should be in. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20150129_191801.jpg
    20150129_191801.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Here is a better pic. Red wire is pointing to spring loop. Where it looks like it should be is just to the left. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20150129_204119.jpg
    20150129_204119.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 105
Yours is correct. The drag clip on the #4 starter gear was made heavier and larger on later models and would no longer fit in the original position .....

StarterClipPositions.jpg

I don't know enough about these engines to know. I have a manual but cant find anything on it. And as far as I know the engine has never been torn down. It might be right I was just hoping some engine guys would know.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I see something that is different on my engine. It's a retainer.
pic of yours and a pic of mine.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 67
Carbon, your retainer looks different than I'm used to seeing. The one on my '78 looks just like Luckydog's.

Back