Engine Rebuild & Beautification (Shot Blasting)

Glad to help. If anyone has questions, please, feel free to fire them off either here or via PM. I'll do what I can.

I'm at page 1 of this on my engine - tore it all down the other night.

I have 2 parts that I'm having trouble getting out of the lower case.

#1 is the crossover shaft - it's held on with a tapered screw / plate, and it just won't pull out. I haven't put tools to it yet, and thought I'd ask before I go bonkers. I'm not running the electric starter so it's no big deal, but I wanted to remove it before having the cases soda blasted (although not 100% necessary to remove it)

#2 the needle bearings that the shift cam (I think) seats in - it's recessed into the engine case and there is what looks like a plug or something on the exterior of the case. Is a blind bearing puller needed to remove the bearing or does this 'plug' come out as well? Or is the bearing actually closed at one end? I've found one picture on the interwebs that suggest it is actually capped.

Hopefully I haven't confused everyone :) Like I say I'm getting the cases soda blasted, not sand or glass or walnuts, and the bearing will be easy to avoid/mask off, but I'm still curious.

I've spent a few minutes here and there putting the engine into the frame. I'm most of the way done. Just have some minor things here and there to attend to and I'll be all set.

Here's my question: For my initial start the oil gallery isn't primed. Any suggestions on how to prime the oil system for the initial start?

I did it! Put all the critical stuff together and made a small carb float adjustment. Kicked it a few times in an attempt to prime the oil gallery and then turned on the key. Couple more kicks and she fired up. I have a few adjustments to make (carbs and clutch) before hitting the road. I also think I'll do a quick oil change as the new stuff in there looks a little frothy with the rebuild. Overall I'm quite pleased with myself on this rebuild. Now I need to get the covers on and clean up my tools.

Oh yeah, the noise that I used to hear before the rebuild is gone. I've narrowed it down to the old connecting rods or the cam chain (both have been replaced) so I'll really never know exactly what it was.

Great to hear that the bike started right up! Awesome job. Are you planning on posting a picture of the rebuilt/blasted engine in the bike?

great thread, would have been a nice reference when I was doing my engine rebuild!

seems like this isn't the first engine you've done, right? either way, looks good.

Thanks Kent. Actually, aside from general small engine maintenance such as air filters and such, this is my first rebuild. The information in this forum is better than any book. Also, it helps to have a repair manual handy for reassembly.

indeed it does. When I rebuilt and rephased my '81 motor it was my first automotive/engine project ever as well. And like you said, my clymers and this website (mostly) were heaven-sent because of threads like this one.

Back