engine rebuild

No, you should get the carbon off, and wheeling the back of the valve face is fine, but not touch the valve stem with an abrasive above that line that the carbon left.

The next question is valve lapping. I've got the compound and sticks. I played around with the stuff a little already. I applyed the compound to the backside of the valve. I then dropped the valve in the guide. I took the lapping stick which acts as a suction cup, stuck it on the face of the valve and started rolling the stick between my hands like I'm tryin to make a camp fire. I almost got the backside of the valve reground. I can see a fresh surface of maybe 3/32 on the backside of the valve. I'm assuming that I want to get that whole shoulder clean? If so, what's the next step before re-installing the valve?

Breahn, all lapping does is ensure that the valve & the seat have contact all the way around each. 3/16" or the thickness of a dime is what the contact area should be. You also did the lapping the correct way with the sticks.I am going to assume you did remove all the built up carbon from the valve face & stem. When re-installing the valves, hold the valve about 1/2 - 3/4 inchaway from the seats & rock the valve. The 'play should be very minimal, only about 2-3 thou.Allot of play indicates guide work is needed, whether replacement or knurling. You should be all set to go though, because the lapping came out so well.
I install the valve seals before I install the valves. Use fresh oil on the seals, and into the guide so you do not rip the new seals, & push them home slowly & squarley.

Yeah. I have a wire wheel on a bench grinder so I got them clened up really well. Gunna lap them tmmrw and reinstall valve. Then just put the motor back together. Do you have any tricks for checkin for valve clearences? Do you apply blue threadlocker to any bolts during reassambly?

So I'm ready to crank the head back down. I have the haynes manual that shows the tightening sequence. There are 15 bolts total, 8 crown, 4 more on top and then the two by the plugs and the one by the breather vent. How much do I torque each bole to?

so i just put the head back on. here are some pics of the reassembly process and my sweet tool for dropping the collets in.
IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

So I've been gettin my friends father to lend me a hand with the welds on my frame. In his garage he had a compression guage. So it was moment of truth. Hooked the gauge up and while holding open throttle i had high 140's on both sides. This engine has no oil in it, so maybe when i get some oil ill get maybe 5psi more? Either way I think i did it right and am so happy with the readings that i got.

Yeah. I had me a little worried cause I didn't check comression before I tore the head off. Also this was my first motor tear down. Pretty easy I thought, my only hope now is that I don't leak oil anywhere. Find out soon enough.

Looks great, I'll have some threebond at my doorstep soon so I can rebuild mine. I'm also paranoid I'm going to spit oil everywhere haha. Never rebuilt and engine and I tore this one to pieces and split the cases.

i just fired off mine last saturday! my first rebiuld anything. sounded awesome.!!open pipes! scared the crap outta my dogs!! Feels so good when it finally roars!! your gonna love it!

Yeah. I'm in paint process for the week and rebuild come next week. Somethin like that. My only uncertain subject is the wiring which I'm kinda gettin a grip on. Angus, was this your first wiring rebuild?

50 miles on my rebuild so far. Only problems were a slipping clutch(microfiche diagram was wrong) and the base gasket is weeping a little. The rubber washers on the head nuts are shot, I need to order some brass ones to keep the torque right.

yes, this is my first wire job. I see in another post you had that you have a pamco. I'm using the stock 1980 ignition. SO I'm unsure about pointing you to a diagram for that. Pete should be in shortly to post a diagram to at least start up the engine enuf to make you smile!!
my build thread is 'fn new guy.

Yeah I feel good about editing the diagram I have goin in my wiring thread. I'm just thinkin that I'm running so little that it will be easy to stay on top of issues.

Back