Engine stands---which is best ???

timbeck

HARDLY A GURU
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Guys---I'm looking to buy an engine stand and want to know what you think works best---I've been looking at one from Death Wish Kustoms and one from Troy Fabrications to me they both seem good but wanted to get your opinions ----or ant others that you like---thanks tim

Links are always helpful in your posts.. Are these the two you're talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Yamaha-xs-650-engine-stand-bobber-motor-chopper-/321091126058#ht_121wt_1116
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS-650-Engine-Rebuild-Stand-Chopper-Boober-Cafe-Custom-/190841452028#ht_330wt_878

I have the one like death wish customs. One thing to watch out for is the clearence under the engine. Often you want to get at the sump, drain, starter, ect.. while it's on the stand. The Troy Fabrications one looks a bit tight there.

Hey Grepper---Yes those are the ones I've been looking at, I'm to computer challenged to figure out how to do links, so thanks for posting them---I take it you are happy with the Death Wish stand ??

I just built one like the Troy Fab version the other day and it is working out well. Old angle iron and a little bit of time is all it took. You can always make the base wider and increase the length of the legs if you want to access the underneath side of the motor.

Attachments

• engine stand.jpg
    engine stand.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 1,546
Last edited:
i made one like the troy fab out of an old steel mattress frame. didn't cost me a thing except time. there are some plans in the tech section.

The only reason I have TC Bros. stand is because someone gave it to me. It's a piece of junk and I would never buy one. I have 3 of the homemade ones, two like the Troy Fab, a third with wider front and rear crossbars. I built that one specifically for transporting motors in the back of my truck or Jeep. It's more stable and less prone to tipping over.

Let's see ..... I have a little used stick welder I paid $70 for. Buying 3 stands would cost me close to $150. Looks like my welder has paid for itself ..... twice, lol.

The only good feature on the TC Bros. stand is it comes up the front and allows you to tip the motor on it's "nose" to access the bottom. I already have it pretty much worked out in my head how I'm going to add that feature to some of my stands with a simple bolt-on attachment for the front.

Worked for me !

I made it a little taller that the schematic to give a bit more clearance underneath the engine. Also a little wider for better stance. Made it to fit my table.

You can do it ! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 650-stand.jpg
    650-stand.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,384
  • IMAG0541.jpg
    IMAG0541.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 554
  • IMAG0545.jpg
    IMAG0545.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 603
Yes and yes. Even though it's all bolt together and loose, we still had the drive the front bolt through with a hammer - what's up with that? The bolts drop right in on the ones I build. I also don't like the way it attaches to the front motor mount at the base of the cylinders. I remove, install, and move my motors around with two pipe "handles" I made up and one goes there, except it can't with the TC Bros. stand. The handles mount up fine with all those other stands that attach to the center bottom and rear lower engine mounts. We pull the motor, flip it up on one end of the handles, and stick the stand on the bottom. With the TC Bros. stand, the front handle must come off which means rolling the motor around on the ground to get the stand on, and it's a struggle because of the poor fit. That's real good for the alloy cases and the engine fins, lol.

If you like it, buy it. But after using one, I just feel the other style is much, much better.

MotorHandles.jpg

MotorHandles2.jpg

I have a tc bros stand, and a home made one using the plans available here. The tc bros is flimsy, and doesn't allow you to split the cases. The one I made, is much sturdier, more stable, and allows splitting the cases... I also made mine a little taller to access the bottom.

Make your own, or find a local guy to make you one.

2x4. wood work bench so the fins don't snap off. just roll it around.
I do want to make a pipe lifter like you have there 5t.

made mine from a bit of aluminum and wood.

Attachments

• HPIM1293.JPG
    HPIM1293.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 444
  • HPIM1163.JPG
    HPIM1163.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 438
Back